Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading Electronics

I finally had a chance to run my new pups and electronics through their paces today. What a difference! I'm sorry, the stock tone and volume electronics pale in comparison to the stuff I got from Mojo Musical Supply. I used to keep my knobs maxed out on both volume and tone 'cause it really didn't make a difference. Now, if I want a clean tone I turn down my gain on the amp, turn down the bridge volume and turn up the neck volume. If I want a distorted tone, I turn up the gain, turn down the neck volume and turn up the bridge volume for that cranked sound.

Even my Valve Standard is sounding better. I do have to turn up the treble, turn down the mid completely and put the bass on @2-3. The VS is a dark amp. It has something burnt on the PCB as well, so it's going in for service under warranty. I'm still on the lookout for a custom build amp. Why can't they just make 'em like they used too?

These upgrades were done on my '05 Epiphone Dot.

I didn't have time to clean her up. Here's two pics. Even the wax from the pole pieces are showing up after adjusting them.

new_elect_side.jpg

new_electonics.jpg

If anyone is considering doing an upgrade, you need to make the tone and volume holes bigger using a step drill bit and then finish it off with a 3/8 inch bit. New knobs are also required. These are a set of Gibson LP knobs. The toggle switch needs a new Gibson thingy as well. They only had the vintage color so I thought it might go right with the colors of my Dot. I like it. What do you all think?

Archived