Gibson Brands Forums

re: archtops again : )

collin

thanks for your help on the last post, can you compare the epiphone BB King guitar and the Gretsch 5120 for me and recommend the better of the two? Unfortunately the guitar store does not have and will not have 5120's for a month or two. thanks a lot

You know what BB King sounds like, right? Well, Brian Setzer plays various 6120's which will give you a "hands on" comparison of what the upscale models sound like when played by a master. Both the Epi BB model and the Gretsch 5120 are supposed to sound similar to their big sisters. Now you know what CAN be done with them.

I have a Sheraton (similar to the Lucille) and a Gretsch 5125...which is very similar to the 5120, except that the 5125 comes with DeArmond 2000 pickups (single-coil, vs the dual-coil 'buckers in the 5120).

The 5120 is full hollow, rather than semi-hollow like the Sheraton and Lucille. That means, to me, more of the "hollowbody "sound", but also much more feedback if you're using much gain.

The Gretsch is much deeper (2.5 inches) than the Epi, and that'll make it feel, play, and sound different.

Fit and finish-wise, frankly, both are really good. Sure, you may run across a dud in either camp, but both are very nice guitars.

The pickups in the 5120 don't really give you a classic Gretsch sound. They're closer to Gibson-style 'buckers.

I'm more of a Gretsch guy than a Gibson-style guy, but that's just my preference. But again, the 5120 is a more gibson-sounding Gretsch thanks to the pickups (though that's easily changed to more suitable gretsch pickups, if you want).

Try to play 'em both and see what you like more. What feels/sounds right to you is what matters, but both are excellent guitars and both are very worth of consideration.

I own both a 5120 and an Epi Lucille and I agree with everything that has been said so far. I really want to stress the importance of picking up and playing a 5120 before you make a decision, however.

A big (meaning deep hollowbody) guitar like a 5120 is just ... different. Getting your arms around it, they way you hold it, how long your strap is ... are all very different from Gibson style semi hollows. When the shop near you gets them back in, I would suggest that you bring a strap or borrow one of theirs and really give her a good going over.

I love both the Lucille and the Gretsch and I think that they both have a place in a well-rounded guitar collection. If you've gotta start with one, make sure its the one that is going to prove to be the most versatile for your style of playing! Have fun ... and keep us posted!

Jim

Archived