Gibson Brands Forums

250k for pot

scantron

Now that I have your attention...

I have a Dimarzio humbucker laying around that I want to put in my Epi Dot. It's a pretty bright, harsh-sounding pickup that I've never quite found the right guitar for. Could I use a 250k Volume & tone pot to "darken it up" a little and smooth out some of that high end nastiness?

Exactly. By switching to a 250K pot you will allow more of your highs to 'bleed off' compared to the stock 500K which blocks the cap more effectively when 'wide open'. Remember that when the tone is 'wide open' the pot is at its maximum value.

Exactly. By switching to a 250K pot you will allow more of your highs to 'bleed off' compared to the stock 500K which blocks the cap more effectively when 'wide open'. Remember that when the tone is 'wide open' the pot is at its maximum value.

What effect does the value of the volume pot have then?

What effect does the value of the volume pot have then?

It does have an effect, but it's rather technical... it's a question of matching the pot resistance to the pickup impedance and so forth... feel free to experiment but all the same I think you'll see more obvious results by fiddling with the tone pot(s).

Archived