Gibson Brands Forums

Alleykat pots replacement?

Wasat

Hi!

Need to change my pots on my Alleykat. I love this guitar but one pot unfortunatly stopped working. (bridge volume)

I ordered 500k CTS once use on Gibsons but the one on the Alleykat looks to be 1/4'' tread vs 3/8'' Gibson or CTS. The length also looks to be halfway betwen long shaft and short shaft. The questions: What are the best replacement pots for my instrument, brand, size, length? Is there a perfect fit on the market?

Is drilling a must here?

Thanks from Canada.

Hi!

Need to change my pots on my Alleykat. I love this guitar but one pot unfortunatly stopped working. (bridge volume)

I ordered 500k CTS once use on Gibsons but the one on the Alleykat looks to be 1/4'' tread vs 3/8'' Gibson or CTS. The length also looks to be halfway betwen long shaft and short shaft. The questions: What are the best replacement pots for my instrument' date=' brand, size, length? Is there a perfect fit on the market?

Is drilling a must here?

Thanks from Canada.[/quote']

Alpha pots work well for imports. They should fit without any major modification. I would go with the full sized ones.

pots.jpg

You'd only need to open up the holes a little bit in order to be able to fit short-shaft CTS pots. It's a metric versus imperial dimension thing; the metric Alpha pots have a slightly smaller diameter (most likely 8mm). A couple of scrapes with a round bastard file will do the trick. Definitely worth the effort to upgrade to CTS IMO.

Jerrymac

Alpha defenitly looks to be the ones. They even look the same. If these tapper deliver a more progressive sound gain all the way throug from 1 to 10 range instead of 5 to 7 it will be paradise.

Hey! Seeing both pot on the same picture I knew right away. Thanks for your help. Merci beaucoup as we say here.

RotcanX

I know that CTS are reference, that's why I wanted CTS. Why not go for the best. And I don't want to redo the job in 6 mouths or so. Alpha pots also have a good reputation and surely are an upgrade from what I have on now. What I want is quality and not search to find the spot where the volume goes up from 1 to 10 betwen the 5 to 7 marks on the knob when the pot works.

If it's really necessary I'll redrill the holes for CTS but if Alpha are nearly as good as CTS...

CTS or Alpha?

Archived