Gibson Brands Forums

peavey vypyr 15, anyone tried it?

Haven't tried the Vypyr 15, but I have a Vypyr Tube 60. On the Peavey forum there are some issues with all the early Vypyr models, but the problems seem to have been solved if you get one that was manufactured in late 2008 and later.

Power supply caps were a problem that caused no power up if the amp was left in an unheated area overnight. There were some software lockups in the early versions of SW.

The Vypyr line sounds very good and is feature rich. According to the forum posters, you are better off buying from a dealer where you can try it before you buy. It seems that some intermittent amps problems were recycled and re-sold by online suppliers. Some posters reported that they got 2 or 3 in a row that had issues. Peavey says that it has all problems fixed, but there may be amps out there that need a service center visit.

What Dave says is true, I've read of problems with some the early Vypyrs but there are some that didn't have the problems also (mine has never locked up or failed to boot)

Got to remember, the people who have an issue will go to Peaveys site to complain and those who don't may never visit the site so it never was clear just how many amps had the issue.

But you definitely need to be aware it could be a problem with the Vypyrs.

Archived