Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP and TP-6 tailpiece

MichaelE

Hi folks. New here with a question. I've upgraded my Epiphone with SD '59's and have it sounding pretty good along with pot changes. I'd like to install the Gibson TP-6 adjustable tailpiece on this Epiphone.

I have been searching the internet for better than a week and cannot find a definite answer as to whether this is a drop-in affair, or if I will have to extract the post mounts from the guitar body and bore larger holes for new mounts and posts. Or if I even have to bore larger holes? Maybe just replace the inserts with the Gibson's?

If I could only replace the posts, that would be great, but I'm pretty sure they are metric inserts and the Gibson posts will be an ASE thread.

Could anyone give me the official or experienced word on this tailpiece and how it will fit the Epiphone LP?

I can do the work, but I'd like to know if I actually have to do it.

My most beloved, and trusted Blue Bomber pictured below has the Gibson TP6. I had to slightly mill the notches so it'd go on the stock Epi posts. Epiphone does make one, I'm not sure if it's in anything other than Gold, as the "Lucille" is the only thing it's on that Epiphone makes, I could be wrong.

Thank you very much for your answer. I have the tools to mill the inside of the notches so this is a 'go' then.

Thanks again, I'm ordering it right after I post this. I'll put up a photo in a few days after the install.

The reason I'd like this on my LP is that I play along with a lot of different music while learning and just playing along. For whatever reason it seems that no recording is produced right on A440 pitch and very slight adjustments need to be made.

I ordered it about an hour ago after double checking the prices from on-line retailers.

I'm still puzzled as to why Gibson offers this cheaper than anyone else. I ordered direct from them.

Even with shipping it was still cheaper than anyone else.

](*,)

I ordered it about an hour ago after double checking the prices from on-line retailers.

I'm still puzzled as to why Gibson offers this cheaper than anyone else. I ordered direct from them.

Even with shipping it was still cheaper than anyone else.

:-k

There was a little filing that had to be done to the U hook to get it to snap right on the Epi post screws.

It can actually be done underneath the U hook metal' date=' just file a bit of that down and it should pop right on.

The only reason the Gibson posts weren't used is: They are slightly bigger and the hole would have to be tapped out, furthermore the ground wire was right there on the lower post nearest the vol knobs, so I didn't want to risk wrecking the ground wire.

The TP-6 was $45 in 2006, now it's a ridiculous $120 in 2009.

What price did you pay to get yours from Gibson?

[img']http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/bobbydamm/Les%20Paul%20Plus%202009/100_1490.jpg[/img]

$108.83 with tax, shipping & 'handling' I guess it costs money to feel up my new stop piece. Some sites were charging as much as $129.99 before all of the extras.

I'll make a little relief in the hooks to get it fitted. Thanks.

Nice top on your LP.

I used the stock posts on my epi because the Gibson inserts are a larger diameter and I did not want to drill into my baby. I "shaved" a little off the backside of the TP-6 with a dremel drum sander just below the chrome finish It's only a few thousanths of an inch too thick. It snaps into the posts snugly with a light slap now. Be warned it adds some weight to your guitar, but the positives out weigh the negatives. Increased Sustain from the extra mass of the block / MMMMmmmmm fine tuners! / Looks cooler! /The tailpiece won't fall off during string changes .

Thanks for the reply Carl. Still waiting for it to arrive, but I'll post a pic when I get it installed.

I'll have to see what grit I have in those sander drums. Probably 120 and I'll need an 80.

I probably won't nitice another six or eight ounces added to this log.

Cool...you'll love it really! oh yeah...make sure you secure the bridge in a soft vice or something or that drum sander will roll right around and scratch the front of your new tailpiece. (I got careless and almost scratched mine that way)Doooh! Are you going Nickel or Gold?

I have the tailpiece sitting here in front of me. I'm taking a break after cutting the yard. Next I have to clean out the gutters and then get the guitar on the bench.

I'll post pictures later this afternoon.

Nice looking piece.

Archived