Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone les paul code thing on the back of the headstock...

YotamG

Hey everyone...

Does any of you know how does that code thingy on the headstock suppose to look?? Just curious...

Thanks!

From Qingdao China:

EE080502410-serial-l.jpg

From Daewon China:

0805124070-serial-lDaewon.jpg

Notice how the Daewon looks.

Crooked tuners, gobs of heavy paint covering the woodgrain.

They're also known for shipping with extremely loose truss rods that can damage the neck in shipping

(I had an LP quilt top made at DW , beautiful guitar...upon set-up the neck was looked at, I was told to return it immediately and exchange it for one with a good neck. It was a shipping issue.)

Genuine Epiphones don't have numbers on the back of their headstocks. If yours does' date=' it is a fake.[/quote']

Don't tell him that! You'll confuse him. There are plenty of genuine Epis with the serial number on the back of the headstock. Unsung, Samick and Saein factories often did it and some Peerless guitars too.

Plus those pics are from Sweetwater - an authorized Epi dealer.

Don't tell him that! You'll confuse him. There are plenty of genuine Epis with the serial number on the back of the headstock. Unsung' date=' Samick and Saein factories often did it and some Peerless guitars too.

Plus those pics are from Sweetwater - an authorized Epi dealer.[/quote']

He's yanking your chain, clarkuss (grin).

If you scroll down on the Epiphone.com home page, there's an Epiphone Inspection Stateside Process link that shows you the step by step inspection process, including the step where they put the "Inspected by" sticker on the back.

Yes, sorry Yotam. I was having a bit of fun.

Many Epiphones DO have serial numbers behind their headstocks. In some years, they are stamped-on. In others, they are on a sticker that falls off after a few years. In hollow body models, they may, instead, be on a label inside the bass-side f-hole.

Check the Guitar Dater Project to interpret the meaning of those numbers. Cheers.

Archived