Gibson Brands Forums

Fitting a bigsby to a Joe Pass Emperor?

mrjones200x

Is it possible to fit a Bigsby type trem to a Joe Pass Emperor2 easily or would the floating bridge need to be fixed to the body?

Just wondered as i like the look and like the effect they give but dont want anything to be undoable as i may sell it in the future and would like it to be std as it should be unless someone wanted it different

Thanks.

I've seen Gretsches with the floating bridge and a Bigsby so I guess it should work. You'll have to evaluate whether the Bigsby will require additional mounting holes and whether they will show if you ever go back to the original tailpiece.

Is it possible to fit a Bigsby type trem to a Joe Pass Emperor2 easily or would the floating bridge need to be fixed to the body?

Just wondered as i like the look and like the effect they give but dont want anything to be undoable as i may sell it in the future and would like it to be std as it should be unless someone wanted it different

Thanks.

You should have no problem if you go with the B6:

B6.jpg

It's designed for archtops' date=' it doesn't screw into the body like the B-7, the mounting holes will probably not align with the current tailpiece's holes, so you might end up with a couple very small holes by the strap lug. Bridge will work, but you might want to exchange it with a roller bridge for smoother operation. GFS sells one that I hear is very good quality at a good price, and you can always switch back.

Good luck.

No, it is not possible to do this. If you attempt it and are caught, you will be permanently placed on the international no-fly list, and all of your Tommy Bahama aloha shirts will be confiscated. Buy a Gretch. They come pre-desecrated. Cheers.

31470001.jpg

This is a VS Epi Joe Pass that I used to own (along with a MIM Strat). The Bigsby was mounted with only 3 screws around the strap button area - the strap button should be mounted through the hole. That's it. It would be best to mount a tunomatic bridge or an articulated Bigsby bridge on top of the wooden floating bridge. You can leave it moveable if you like. I marked the bridge position with masking tape, then mounted the bridge onto the guitar with double-sided tape (no hole drilling required).

Hope this helps...=D>

Archived