Gibson Brands Forums

WOW...

pbankey

I recently bought a demo model AJ-500M for about $250 at a local shop. It sounded incredible at the store but it had a few issues, mainly that the saddle was cut a little too short and caused some bad buzzing despite an action change. I was convinced this guitar was a diamond in the rough so I made the purchase knowing it would sound even better after it had all the kinks worked out. Plus, another customer was peering at the guitar and almost about to snag it away, and I didn't want that deal to just disappear. I had played a couple masterbilts at the guitar center down the street and was in love with the sound too.

On the car ride home I felt kinda guilty for purchasing the guitar, just because I didn't really have a "true" indication of what the instrument I bought sounds like. I took it to my local luthier the next day and he worked on it, and three days later called me telling me it was ready. He installed a shim for the saddle and adjusted the relief and action, then restrung it with the strings it came with.

When I took it out and tested it, it didn't have one buzz at all. I was thrilled and rushed home to play it. Well, I began to play the guitar and it just didn't seem right to me. The sound was so dull and didn't resonate at all, even in the mids which should be wonderful considering its a mahogany back and sides. I felt like I was ripped off. I changed the strings to some Elixir polyweb lights and it sounded a little better, but not really much. I was extremely close to taking the instrument back but decided I'll try the pair of the Martin 80/20s Light I had unopened.

Holy.. crap. The sound was like a chorus of angels singing on the coming of the Lord. My guitar was brought to life! I still get giddy when I play it.

I don't know what the point of me typing this was. I guess I'm just excited. But DANG this is a wonderful sound for the price. It really is a shame that Epiphone gets labeled with the "cheap" assumption because known to be the lower-end of the Gibson-style guitars. The strange thing is, I haven't heard of anyone disliking the sound of Elixir strings on the guitar... I see a lot of people suggesting them. How do you guys like your Masterbilts?

Masterbilts are great players, and insane values. We're very lucky these days that guitars built so well and that sound so good are available for such a modest price. Yours was steal!

I have several, and play them happily alongside their Gibson cousins.

1st guitar, bottom row: AJ500RC; Last guitar, bottom row: AJ500R.

1st guitar, top row: DR500M.

Not shown: AJ500M

picture524.jpg

Red 333

I don't know what the point of me typing this was. I guess I'm just excited. But DANG this is a wonderful sound for the price. It really is a shame that Epiphone gets labeled with the "cheap" assumption because known to be the lower-end of the Gibson-style guitars. The strange thing is' date=' I haven't heard of anyone disliking the sound of Elixir strings on the guitar... I see a lot of people suggesting them. How do you guys like your Masterbilts?

[/quote']

Pretty much the same experience as yours. Once the issues are worked out they are good sounding guitars. Nothing at all like a Gibson but nice.

Mine had a few more issues than yours, but they have been sorted out. It is not my favorite guitar but it gets used as it records well in certain situations.

As far as "cheap" well the construction, bracing, assembly, fit and finish etc are good. The materials lets be honest not the best but that is why they are not in the same price range as a Gibson, Martin, Taylor.....

Congratulations on buying a great guitar and having the courage to take a bit of a risk. Remarkable that changing to the Martins should have such a profound effect on the sound' date=' though.[/quote']

Acoustic guitars are funny things. Somethings work well on one that will not on another.

I bought all Tusq bridge pins and some of my guitars they really changed the tone on. My Cedar HG Simon and Patrick they made no difference over the factory plastic pins.

80/20s are not my favorite strings now days, since the 80s, but I have one guitar that loves them. The guitar is a plywood Harmony Soveriegn. Phosphors make it sound too dull like the cheap plywood guitar it is. 80/20s with metal bridge pins give it a sound closer to a solid top.

Try different things and see what works.

I took it to my local luthier the next day and he worked on it' date=' and three days later called me telling me it was ready. He installed a shim for the saddle and adjusted the relief and action, then restrung it with the strings it came with.

[/quote']

I'd bet it would sound even better if you had your guy make you a new saddle for it. It not a big deal for any qualified guitar tech to make a new, compensated, bone saddle

Get that shim out of there and get some medium strings on that baby and it will really sing!

Masterbilts are great players' date=' and insane values. We're very lucky these days that guitars built so well and that sound so good are available for such a modest price. Yours was steal!

I have several, and play them happily alongside their Gibson cousins.

1st guitar, bottom row: AJ500RC; Last guitar, bottom row: AJ500R.

1st guitar, top row: DR500M.

Not shown: AJ500M

[img']http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4787/picture524.jpg[/img]

Red 333

Hey Red, noticed a few Texans in your family. Are they vintage or re-issues and if so what models?

:D

Archived