Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot amp jack slipped into the body. How do I get it out!?

supernicklas

Hello everybody,

I was playing my Epiphone Dot yesterday when the cord male jack got stuck in the female jack. I tried to get it out and eventually it came out, but the round screw which holds the female jack in place on the body's outside jumped off and the female jack tube sliped into the guitar. This off course makes me unable to play it with the amp. And since you can't open the guitar, I really don't know how to fix this problem.

So how do I get the line in female jack back in place in the hole, so I can put my cord back in and play with the amp?

You can hear the tube dangling inside with wires on, but you can't see it. Here's a picture of my problem:

fotografier0102.jpg

Thanks everybody!

The jacks in Dots are notorious for this. Going on a fishing expedition will work. The wire on the jack comes from the swtich, so there should be enough wire for this. Try to move the the jack to the f-hole and pull it out. Then run some fish line down through the hole where the jack should be and up through the f-hole. Run the wire down through the top of the jack and tie it around the the tip of the jack. Then carefully pull the fishing line up throught the jack hole along with the jack.

To tighten the jack I use a piece of 14 ga wire that I have from a wiring job in my basement, form a hook on it, more like a 90 degree angle and put it down through the jack. The I turn the wire until it hit the tip of the jack. All this time holding onto the fishing line so the jack doesn't fall back down the hole. Once teh wire is in place, put the washer and nut back on and tighten while hole the wire so the jack doesn't turn. If the jack turns you could pull the wires off the jack and be if for a bigger job. After the nut is tight pull the wire out and put some clear naill polish on the nut so it won't happen again. Others here have used lock tite. It comes in red and blue. I son't remember which one was recommended, I think blue. If you use that you would put some on the threads before tightening up the nut.

Archived