Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy Futura finish differences

Geff

I was at the Gibson store in Nashville this weekend. I just happened to notice two prophecy futuras hanging up. they were both the same model (the one without the trem) but looked to be completely different finishes. One was VERY dark, almost black and the other a nice light cherry red. Neither looked bad but the variation was dramatic. My own example is somewhere in between and more closely matches the description of dark cherry.

Hey, Geff ...

Epiphone makes two versions of the Prophecy Futura. The FX, which is finished in Midnight Ebony and the EX which has the black cherry stain. They seem to be the same guitar other than the FX having a Floyd Rose and the EX having a stop bar.

I own two of the Prophecy models myself, the Les Paul GX and the SG GX and I am very happy with both. There are a couple of other members on here that also own the SG GX, another that owns the LP GX and one that owns the LP EX. To your point, there seems to be a wide variety in that black cherry finish ... especially on the SG. Mine is quite dark while some are much lighter and more reddish. The LP's I've seen seem to be much more consistant.

Jim

Archived