Gibson Brands Forums

Help me I.D. this Craigslist SG

smurfco

Hi, my name is Charles and I play an Epi Dot (and have since 2002). This is my first post!

I found an interesting Epiphone SG on Craigslist. (See pictures in post below)

Take a look at the headstock. Is this an Elitist? Did other Epis ever have that rounded-off headstock? Or could it just be a fake?

I called the guy but it's a kid who doesn't really seem to know too much about the guitar. He said I can come take a look at it - anything to look for? I know most Elite/Elitist guits had that emblem on the back of the headstock... but did ALL of them?

I know the pictures are small and grainy but I appreciate any info you folks can provide. Thanks!

I'm going to guess that it's a fake, but it could also be a Japanese-market guitar. The picture makes it look like there's a curved top on the headstock, without the "dip" in the center, like a Gibson would have.

It also has a two-screw truss rod cover... if it's a bad picture, it could be a Gibson headstock.

I'd say check it out... The Elite or Elitist line will have an emblem on the back, the Japanese-market guitar will have a Gibson headstock.

[EDIT] I just checked, and every high-end Epiphone SG I've found has a headstock inlay.

Thanks pohatu. Not to ask a stupid question, but are there a lot of Epiphone fakes out there, especially SG type guitars? Epi makes good guitars but I feel like if someone were going to fake an SG it'd be just as easy (and more profitable) to fake a Gibby.

Cheers!

Fake Les Pauls seem to be more common, but there are plenty of fake Epiphones. I've seen some that aren't even close to convincing.

As far as faking an Epiphone rather than a Gibson... it's easier to fool your average Epiphone buyer. We tend to forget, but this forum's "regulars" are not your average Epiphone customer. Epiphone sells a majority of their guitars to beginners and those less knowledgable than the members here.

Archived