Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice tuning pegs

jagg11

I'm kinda stuck here, I just got a 99 studio and it has the kluson tulip style tuners, and so far not a big fan of them. now don't really care about being authentic or age correct or anything like that. this is a fancier studio due to some of the upgrades like better inlay. on my 05 studio and my custom both have grovers. I realize it's a different screw pattern on the back so If I changed over they would have exposed holes on the back. Are the gibson style better than the Epi style klusons and what are my other options, I know of a couple different name brands but not really sure how they fare.

Real Klusons work fine. As I understand it, the ones on Gibsons marked "Gibson" are made by Kluson for Gibson. I have them on both my Gibby LPs, I gig with them regularly and no problems. I have also bought some branded as Klusons for another guitar, they were identical apart from the name stamped on the back.

Epi use cheap Asian copies which are flimsy and tend to be looser. If anyone wants some for spares, I have a bag full of Epi Kluson-style green key tuners taken off Samick G400 and LP guitars c. 2001. Mail me and I'll post you some.

You can get Klusons, or Grovers that will go in.. in the same style..

or you can fit grovers, but the regular grovers have screw in bushings, kluson style press fit are smaller.. so there's headstock redrilling.

Gibson offers the kluson style, too, but more spendy.

There are probably some Gotohs as well for kluson type.. with or without the tulips.

I'll pm you an url or two!

TWANG

Archived