Gibson Brands Forums

VJ Board

Canine

Hello, yet another thread...

I handwired a board for my VJ and been having some problems. Last one was the main fuse and now it's the fuse between the PT and the pre-amp tube. I followed the infamous "Marshallized" layout, the only change I made was to substitute C3 and C4 for Solen caps, not the electrolytic caps I couldn't find in 1uF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've asked around at other places and got very good advice, but I need all the info I can get, I hope you all understand why.

Thanks!

Yeah, 1uf electrolytics are not at all scarce.

However, that's not your problem. You've obviously wired something goofy if you're blowing fuses. Double and triple check ALL of your work. Start by tracing from where that PT connection is on the board, and also check the wires themselves for nicks, and flaky connection. Those spade connectors are notorious for flaking out. You can very easily crack the solder points on them by removing the wires and reconnecting.

and yep. solder pads.. god how I hate those things.

you can push a lead through and lift the whole pad up.. and take a long time getting it right. and even then sometimes I've just had to build a bridge to make it connect.

Something's funny but probably not the caps.

TWANG

Archived