Gibson Brands Forums

perfect treble bleed for Epi Dot ?

tt

I have my lovely 2008 Epi Dot rewired to Gibson 50-s wiring and with pots and tone caps being upgraded - it made guitar´s pickups more alive sounding, but there is still abit of treble tame when rolling down volume.

I have meanwhile tried treble bleed with just caps ( no resistor) : 0.001 microfarad ( too tinny ) , 0.0015 ( almost ok, but further down rolling leads to tinny ), 0.0022 microF ( almost OK, but no effect when vol pot near max). So, at the moment all the treble bleeds are cut out. Its still not perfect to my ears . Want to try more perfect solution, with resistor added to treble bleed cap. What is the most often used value for treble bleed cap and resistor to use with 335-like guitar with 500k ( all audio) pots and 0.022 tone caps and original Epi Dot pickups ( neck approx 8.2k, bridge approx 9k if I remember correctly) ? And which way is more common, to put the bleed cap and resistor in parallel or inseries ?

Thanks,

Telbert

Most commonly used is parallel.

There is no perfect do-all-and-the-dishes-value for guitar. Too many factors to take into account. There's HB or SCs, Pot-values, PU-output, etc.

Basic set of rules for a parallel TB: Use 100-400KO Resistors, and anywhere between 500pF - 2nF for Caps(Silver Micas, OrangeDrops, Mallory)

For the Dot, considering the HBs at 8-9 K and 500K pots I'd start with a 360KO and 1nF Silver Mica.

another thing is the res.cap series and par. makes a different effect on the vol pots curve..

you may not like either one!

you can also try changing your pot value.

but any value can go up or down a bit and give you a different effect.

so I'd hike to rat shack and get a bunch of ceramic chips.. and som 1/4W resistors and have at it.

TWANG

Guest icantbuyafender

brave souls, you are. Ive yet to even touch the inside of my dot studio.

I wanna do to mine what TWANG founded in his Big Red dot studio... but Im toooo chicken to do it... and tooo prideful to out-source it to a shop and pay the big bucks....

independent vol and tone pots would be nice.... but, i dont trust myself

Dude.. it's not hard.

the holes went really easy.. and if you hook up your wiring my way.. it's not only strong as hell, it doesn't even show through the f holes.

I'd be happy to guide you every step of the way.

you drill without a drill.. just the bit..

there's a safety precaution for every step of that.

and you build the wiring on cardboard... strap it up with plastic tie downs..

really nice on a studio!

As soon as I get time, I'll make a photobucket album of the whole process.

then anyone can do it.

TWANG

Archived