Gibson Brands Forums

Magic Eye tube?

hey i found one of these magic eye tubes that still works in an old webcor real to real, is there a way to wire it to a guitar amp? think it would be cool to have it mountied and lightn up while playin? do they make these magic eye tubes in all sizes like a 12ax7 or el84?

mine is like the one in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN09a35XAxI

Never seen it, but it is pretty cool! I suppose it could be built into an amp, though what would the purpose be? Anything you put in the signal chain is going to affect your tone, and since this really doesn't appear to be something that would traditionally be placed in a guitar amp, it may not be beneficial. I'm sure that a crafty EE or even experienced tinkerer could figure out a way to make it do something, but I'm not so sure that it would be something either useful or good for your tone.

As for sizes, I would have to guess that there were only a few options, since it appears to be a very limited use device.

Never seen it' date=' but it is pretty cool! I suppose it could be built into an amp, though what would the purpose be? Anything you put in the signal chain is going to affect your tone, and since this really doesn't appear to be something that would traditionally be placed in a guitar amp, it may not be beneficial. I'm sure that a crafty EE or even experienced tinkerer could figure out a way to make it do something, but I'm not so sure that it would be something either useful or good for your tone.

As for sizes, I would have to guess that there were only a few options, since it appears to be a very limited use device. [/quote']

I saw a video of it on some web site, somewhere....I was under the impression that it's only for looks, serves no purpose as an actual power or pre-amp tube...of course, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time ...nor second, etc, etc...

Archived