Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson tailpiece...

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

so, are the bushings (threaded insert that posts screws into) that are in epiphones able to accept the posts of a gibson tail piece?

or will the piece fit epiphones posts?

is it a hassle to convert? Would i have to do more than just swap bushings and posts out?

is the space between the posts different on gibsons?

Ricochet is right. The [tailpiece] bushings on an Epi LP are bigger in diameter, and that goes for the holes too.

You have to remember, the bridges/stop-tailpieces used on cheaper guitars (like Epis) are NOT exactly the same as the ones Gibson uses.

Epi tailpiece bushings

she2.jpg

Gibson tailpiece studs/bushings

0186n1lg.jpg

I've foung the Epi fittings vary, depending on their origins I supppose - I've put various combinations together where, although the threads are always different, the spacings were the same and have swapped Epi/Gibson OK; and I've got a DOT that won't even take other Epi parts without a degree of 'modification'. If you want to upgrade why not try Gotoh/Tonepros - you'll still have to check the spacings, but at least these will fit in principle. I put Tonepros on my Gibson (ES137) because they were better than the original Gibson stuff that was on, so don't think the Gibson parts are necessarily the best choice.

so' date=' are the bushings (threaded insert that posts screws into) that are in epiphones able to accept the posts of a gibson tail piece?

or will the piece fit epiphones posts?

is it a hassle to convert? Would i have to do more than just swap bushings and posts out?

is the space between the posts different on gibsons?[/quote']

The posts on the Epiphone will have to be filed down slightly in order for a Gibson Tailpiece such as the TP-6 to be installed.

Either that or file the bottom of the tailpiece to fit the post.

On my TP6 (Gibson), the slots had to be enlarged slightly to fit the Epi posts. My Gotoh was a drop-right-in replacement for the stock bridge. If you do decide to become a "machinist", be careful, because the chrome coating likes to come off in pieces.

Guest icantbuyafender
The posts on the Epiphone will have to be filed down slightly in order for a Gibson Tailpiece such as the TP-6 to be installed.

Either that or file the bottom of the tailpiece to fit the post.

the bottom of the tail piece?

is the piece too tall for the channel openings on the posts?

or is the posts too fat for tailpiece?

the bottom of the tail piece?

is the piece too tall for the channel openings on the posts?or is the posts too fat for tailpiece?

Too tall by just a hair. I had to have the inside of the post top (directly below the screwhead) machined out slightly so it would fit.

No big hassle because the tech man knew just what to do. He had it on the bench and back on the guitar in 5 minutes.

post.jpg

Archived