Gibson Brands Forums

335 vs 336?

Stevie Nazarenie

I'm assuming your talking Gibsons?

336 = Smaller, more solid, chambered mahogany body, which [ironically] gives it a brighter sound, that's why it has a Memphis Tone circuit (basically a Bass booster) to make it sound more full-bodied.

335 = Full, semi-hallow (there is a maple block running through the center) body. Has more of an acoustic soud/feel to it.

Personally I like the 335, but the 336 is cool also. Just try both and come to your own conclusion, because we could give you advise until we're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean it will be right. It's what you feel and hear that really matters.

I have a 336 and have played a load of 335's. The 336 is a genuine halfway house between a Les Paul and a 335. The smaller size is great, and the semi-hollow/carved nature means it feeds back really nicely. Doesn't have honk of a solid les paul though.

The 339 is closer to the 335- the small size is a SLIGHTLY tweaked version of the small 336-shape, but the construction is all laminate, like a 335. I'm wondering if/when epi will do a version of one of these, but I think the 339s are selling so well Gibson may not want them to..

Also, the 339 is WAY cheaper than the 336..!

Click here for more pics of my 336 here!

4000333015_33cd0b8615.jpg

nice! but my favourite version of the 335/ 336 style guitar is at gfs. just for the colour... the xaviere xv900. it looks like a lovely big lemon! http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-50206111187217_2075_7663649

what are the dimensions of the body? the length from strap pin to top horn and across the body at the fattest part? i have a copy and wondered if it's more like a 335 or 336. it doesn't have lots of hollow tone maybe a 335 copy with normal hums rather than p90's ,too, is called for!

My 336 is exactly 1000mm long (about 409 inches) from end pin to top of headstock. The body itself is 425 mm long, (17 inches) (endpin to top of horn/17th fret)

That xaviere looks about halfway between a 336 and 335 in size.

I REALLY want another 336, in black, with hum-sized P90's, maybe with a bigsby. One day it'll happen...

stickyfiddle, that's a beautiful looking guitar. I clicked on your link and got a closer look at it. What seems

peculiar about the top of the body of the guitar is that the bottom side (where the pickguard and knobs

are) looks like it's a flamed-maple top and the top side looks like a plain-top. I wonder if Gibson accidently

lined up two different top pieces (you can see the seam down the center), because they usually /match/bookend

the grains of the pieces rather closely. Like I said, just a peculiarity I noticed on your guitar. It still looks

beautiful and I bet it really plays nice.

Thanks very much! The top is very interesting, and completely individual. It has quite strong grain AND flame in the flesh- i can never get a good photo that shows both! There's an interesting story attached actually- when I emailed gibson to check the serial number, they had it listed on their system as a plaintop version. But the COA has it as a CS336 'F', ie a flametop! It's a proper halfway house, which is perfect for me- I prefer it to the tight, stripy flame you often see, but it's FAR nicer than a plaintop too :-

You can see here how there is both flame and grain in both sides. I think it's just a one-off bit of wood. Really makes it 'my' guitar :)

3889722634_3861d183d5.jpg

wow, nice! closer look does it!

"The body itself is 425 mm long"

ahhh... mine is 47cm. what about width? i was trying working out if my copy was based on the 335 or336. i guess 335? i don't have as much acoustic tone as i expected though.

edit: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80265

well it seems mine is around 18" body size long and 15" body size wide. the 335above is 16 1/2" by 20" so mine is slimmed down...

Archived