Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar is better g400 or faded g400

haz102

its a bit of a big difference in the price so i was just wondering why that is ?[blink]

I guess "a big difference" is subjective to each person, but $50 is not that big a difference to me.

Same guitar, just different finish like Elias stated. If you are happy with the worn finish, then save yourself 50 bucks.

I guess "a big difference" is subjective to each person' date=' but $50 is not that big a difference to me.

Same guitar, just different finish like Elias stated. If you are happy with the worn finish, then save yourself 50 bucks. [/quote']

Funny thing is, that with a little elbow grease, those worn finishes will polish up to a very nice shine. Anyone who owns one notices that the areas of the guitar that get touched a lot start to shine pretty quickly.

Funny thing is' date=' that with a little elbow grease, those worn finishes will polish up to a very nice shine. Anyone who owns one notices that the areas of the guitar that get touched a lot start to shine pretty quickly.

[/quote']

RonG is right - I have a Dean Vendetta that is in line waiting for

me to wet-sand the satin finish into a Gloss finish - experimental

attempt, but I don't see why not... If this fails, I'll be "a-paintin'" it

cherry red just like my First ever project (I miss that guitar)!

100_0217.jpg

Anyway, the plan is to wet-sand starting with 1000 grit (don't want to

go thru the finish), use 1500 grit if needed, then hit it with Meguires

Ultimate Polishing Compound followed by Meguires swirl remover (finer grit),

them GHS Guitar Gloss polish.

I'm not sure about the current Faded G400, but I've got one of the older ones and it's better than the Std G400 in that it has a one-piece neck instead of the scarfed headstock the Stds have. Also has neck binding which gives it a little nicer look IMO.

+1 on the polishing aspect, too. I did a quick polish with 3M Rubbing Compound and FinesseIT on mine and it turned out really sweet. Looks even more vintage now than it did with the faded finish. Add set of Tonerider A4 PAF pickups and you get a toneful SG!

epi_sg.jpg

Archived