Gibson Brands Forums

Reverb Sucks!

SoCalRat

Hey All, New here to the site. I was wondering if some one could tell me how to remove the reverb unit from my socal 50?

I dont like reverb and it does not turn all the way off if i turn it all the way down. I hear that you can only turn it off w/ the footswitch. I only use channel 2 so I have no need for the switch. Can I just unplug the RCA cable and leave it at that or do I need to remove the tubes as well?

Thanks,

S.C.R.

Hey All' date=' New here to the site. I was wondering if some one could tell me how to remove the reverb unit from my socal 50?

I dont like reverb and it does not turn all the way off if i turn it all the way down. I hear that you can only turn it off w/ the footswitch. I only use channel 2 so I have no need for the switch. Can I just unplug the RCA cable and leave it at that or do I need to remove the tubes as well?

Thanks,

S.C.R.[/quote']

You could always replace the reverb with a baseball bat :)

This is a good question for M-Theory - the tank puts a resistive load on the output transformer (I think) so it may damage the OT if you just pull it out and leave it that way unless you put a dummy load on it. Why not use the foot switch to turn it off, then remove the switch?

Why not use the foot switch to turn it off, then remove the switch?

I dont have the footswitch. I didn't THINK i needed it so it was an extra 40 bucks I didn't need to spend.:- Even if you turn it off with the switch, as soon as you unplug, it turns back on. Maybe guitar center has a generic one for a few bucks that will do the job.

Not sure how this is built into the circuit, or switched in and out, but since it is switchable, you could certainly locate that switch on the schematic, if you have one, wire it so that the reverb is dead. Then again, you could just buy the footswitch for it.

Archived