Gibson Brands Forums

I found an 90's model firebird

lpfan

I found an Epi firebird in rough shape in a local music store. Its a solid red color with a bolt on neck and mini humbuckers. I think they are SD's. Theres a logo on them but I didn't check it. The only thing I didn't like was the pcik guard did not have the firebird emblem and the knobs were in the correct location but the bottom 2 knobs are not parallel with the 2 above them. 1 of the bottom 2 is down farther, about an inch farther from being parallel. I have seen pics of them being parallel and not parallel on firebirds. I don't think its a counterfeit but I am pretty sure its stolen because the serial number is scratched off of the neck plate. They are asking 299 and its pretty scratched up. What do you think is a fair price to offer them considering the shape and that it could have been stolen? BTW I'm not worried about it being stolen because I have some friends who are umm...., anyway they would let me know something if I needed to know to keep from getting into trouble. I thought about offering 100 or 150. I think the owner might get pissed because she is really proud of her stuff but I have a right to try and bargain, especially due to its rough condition. So what do you think would be a good offer? I don't have any pics or I would post them too.

I found an Epi firebird in rough shape in a local music store. Its a solid red color with a bolt on neck and mini humbuckers. I think they are SD's. Theres a logo on them but I didn't check it. The only thing I didn't like was the pcik guard did not have the firebird emblem and the knobs were in the correct location but the bottom 2 knobs are not parallel with the 2 above them. 1 of the bottom 2 is down farther' date=' about an inch farther from being parallel. I have seen pics of them being parallel and not parallel on firebirds. I don't think its a counterfeit but I am pretty sure its stolen because the serial number is scratched off of the neck plate. They are asking 299 and its pretty scratched up. What do you think is a fair price to offer them considering the shape and that it could have been stolen? BTW I'm not worried about it being stolen because I have some friends who are umm...., anyway they would let me know something if I needed to know to keep from getting into trouble. I thought about offering 100 or 150. I think the owner might get pissed because she is really proud of her stuff but I have a right to try and bargain, especially due to its rough condition. So what do you think would be a good offer? I don't have any pics or I would post them too.[/quote']

Sounds like a pile of junk if you ask me, all scratched and rough, and with a bolt neck. I'd avoid it all together. Save your money up for a proper Firebird, or a Studio.

I have nothing against bolt necks. But to me, the Firebird should at least have a set neck, since that's what they originally had. Well actually they were neck through construction, but a set neck is a good, close alternative for an Epi to keep the price down.

And of course I'm biased.

MyFirebirdSmall01.jpg

To be honest mate, those '90s Korean built bolt-on Epiphone Firebird Vs are complete and utter crap.

I had one. It was white and I bought it at Sound Control in Birmingham sometime in the late '90s. Worst guitar I ever owned. I bought it because I was absolutely craving a Firebird at that time and I thought I might be able to do something with it. But I couldn't. Everything was wrong...terrible electrics, bridge pick-up placed in the body at a weird angle, awful tuners. And it just had no tone. I'm not sure what the body was made out of, but when I looked inside the (crudely cut) cavities it looked strange...some kind of plywood, I'm sure, covered in a very, very thick poly coating. Wasn't worth trying to upgrade. And it wasn't that I unluckily received a bad guitar, as all other Epi Firebirds from that era I have seen are just as poor.

In your position, I wouldn't touch that Firebird with a 10 foot bargepole, personally.

Hummer - Thanks for the support. I like it but I wouldn't pay more than 100 for it because its in very rough condition. That and the fact that its probably stolen too since the SN is grinded off the neck plate. The people that run this music store are nice but they are very proud of their stuff and they price it very high for what it is in my opinion.

Archived