Gibson Brands Forums

pickup question

dh82c

Guest icantbuyafender
No' date=' most Gibbys I have seen are wax potted. If its covered in lacquer or epoxy it is most likely a cheap import.[/quote']

If its marked gibson USA there is a huge possibility it came off of a tony Iommi SG custom. His pickups are completely enveloped in wax and black epoxy to prevent the liklihood of feedback noise.

look

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Humbucker/Tony-Iommi-Signature-Humbucker.aspx

This look like the pickup, pal?

Well I will take the time to get the guitar back so I can pull it out.

The pickup was up there in years when I got it in 92.

Someone suggested looking on ebay. Apparently they are called tarbacks.

Gibson used them from 75ish to 80ish. No other details tho.

If I get some pics I will post them fyi

Ugly, I think that PU days are numbered! Look at that shielding, its green and frayed!

I don't like it and I'll tell you why. You can't fix it. One that braid is done for, so is your PU. Being dunked in epoxy like that does effectively seal it, but not well enough to last forever. And now you can't get in there to make any repairs like attaching a new lead, which at the least I can see you need. If you ever break a winding there is no way to service the pickup. Its like welding the hood of your car shut, just ain't a good idea. Plus, epoxy is no more effective at microphonic suppression than wax. It ma be less effective, cause you can't re-pot the pickup after you ruin it by putting epoxy all over it. And as we all know, potting only lasts for so long.

B.C. Rich did this, as does EMG, and it always drove me nuts. Epi has been known to do it in the past, but I think it must have gotten costly for them cause they quit, and we know the didn't quit to make me happy or they wouldn't put all that god awful plastic everywhere. I have thrown out more epoxied pups than any others over the years.

Well at least you have learned something new Musikron :)

I am not worried about the leads. There is more than enough to work with.

Sucks that I have to pull it from the guitar tho. The relic look works well with the pickup but the reaction from the dissimilar metals is causing the corrosion.

I agree that potting a pickup in resin is not the most practical idea. Norlin was running full steam ahead those days.

Once I get the pickup running I will let you know how it sounds. I have no idea what it has for magnets etc but that is probably a good thing since it will be a true blind taste-test.

Cheers

Guest icantbuyafender
EMG uses epoxy because they're active pups. The can't use wax to seal it. It would ruin the chips inside.

Meh....[-(

I still cant get over the whole battery powered pickup thing...

...Not long enough to keep the 81/60 combo in my V for keeps.

[blush] i know, its JUST a battery...

Meh....[-(

I still cant get over the whole battery powered pickup thing...

...Not long enough to keep the 81/60 combo in my V for keeps.

[blush] i know' date=' its JUST a battery...[/quote']

Hey, If you're lookin' to get rid of said 81/60 combo, I'll take 'em off your hands... No. Really. I will.

It ain't just a battery fender' date=' those active PUs have no dynamics. An 18V conversion will help get a little of them back, but I still don't like the tone you get outta them even then.[/quote']

Well they do have dynamics, but they are very sterile pick-ups. They eliminate some of the variables such as what the insrument is made of, scale length, ect. They give you a very consistant tone day to day, making then great for live aplications.

Archived