Gibson Brands Forums

Line 6 Pod

flash19950

Test it thoroughly before parting with your hard earned male deer. There could be a reason its so cheap.

How is he going to test it on Fleabay unless he buys it first?

It all depends on how you want to use it...as standalone device..in which case' date='

you use what it comes with..or something different entirely, where you personalize

the tones stored and available on it from the Line 6 site.

I have one a PODxT. It's an interesting toy and you can model amps and various

tones and effects from it as you plug your guitar into it. You can also record

from it via the USB port if you have the corresponding application s/w.

However, bear in mind that in order to get the necessary drivers uploaded,

any updates from Line 6, and get at the user supplied tone libraries online,

you need to be registered first with Line 6.

I don't know what the situation is with Line 6 (yet) for[b'] re-registering[/b]

as a second owner of a particular unit.

The serial number of each unit has to be supplied by the first owner at time

of on-line registration, if that actually happened. Line 6 could also want proof

that you are the true second owner of this unit as well, to avoid cases of

theft etc.

As a second hand (fleabay) item, it may only be used as a stand-alone unit

between your guitar and amp or computer..and you can only use the built-in

efx, standard tones it comes with..or what the previous user has downloaded.

Certainly the $100 asking price is attractive ...and it may be worth it as a

stand alone unit to dial in amp models and effects..but without going online

and downloading tones and efx from the Line 6 site,

you won't realize it's true potential.

As a second hand (fleabay) item' date=' it may only be used as a stand-alone unit

between your guitar and amp or computer..and you can only use the built-in

efx, standard tones it comes with..or what the previous user has downloaded.[/quote']

Well, that's not quite the case is it. Firstly you can create, edit and store your own tones and secondly there are thousands of third party tone available over the web from enthusiasts which are probably as good, if not better than the ones Line 6 will supply you with (just Google Pod XT patches). Many of these are supplied as SysEx files for delivery straight to the MIDI in port of the Pod using a suitable SysEx transfer program (MidiOX is a good one and it's totally free). If you don't know how to do any of this then the full manual is available as a free download from the Line 6 web-site in PDF format whether your Pod is registered or not. At $300.00 below retail (assuming it's in good working order) it seems like a deal to me and not having Line 6 support wouldn't put me off.

JG

Well' date=' that's not quite the case is it. Firstly you can create, edit and store your own tones and secondly there are thousands of third party tone available over the web from enthusiasts which are probably as good, if not better than the ones Line 6 will supply you with (just Google Pod XT patches). Many of these are supplied as SysEx files for delivery straight to the MIDI in port of the Pod using a suitable SysEx transfer program (MidiOX is a good one and it's totally free). If you don't know how to do any of this then the full manual is available as a free download from the Line 6 web-site in PDF format whether your Pod is registered or not. At $300.00 below retail (assuming it's in good working order) it seems like a deal to me and not having Line 6 support wouldn't put me off.

JG[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I will use that when I go to sell mine. I don't have the SysEx files set up to download tones,

but I did use the online use library (www.line6.com/customtone) that has all the user tones listed and it's a free download. Some tones I found, even though they downloaded ok, would not work in

my PodXT, as they were configured for a different type of POD.

Archived