Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Thoughts

zagatron1

My nephew has a Epi Plain top he wants to "upgrade", and asked me about pickups. I have the same type of guitar that I put Gibson's '57 Classic and a Classic Plus in among other things. He wants the sound I have (or something close). He was asking if I knew about something more affordable. Well, he used the word cheap for real. I've heard alot about GFS pickups, and they've got a bunch to choose from. I picked out a couple for him (the "Classic II Alnico II" for the neck, & the "Vintage 59" Alnico V for the bridge). How good are GFS pickups?

I have no idea how "good" they are, I've heard people say they were great, and others say they were bad.... But they're coming with my vintage G400 I'm gonna buy, epiphone's version of Gibson pups. Very...."cheap"?

Epiphone Alnico V, '57 classic

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-B-Gibson-Epiphone-Humbucker-Pickup-57-Classic-new-U01_W0QQitemZ390131637064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad5a85b48

Guest icantbuyafender

The 59 in the neck and the VEH alnicoV in the bridge is a GREAT set.

The Classic II's are more musical sounding, like the Seymour duncan Alnico II pro's.

The first set i mentioned, or the "Fat Pat" set are what I would stack against the Gibson 57 classic and 57 classic plus, as far as GFS pickups go.

The 59 in the neck and the VEH alnicoV in the bridge is a GREAT set.

The Classic II's are more musical sounding' date=' like the Seymour duncan Alnico II pro's.

The first set i mentioned, or the "Fat Pat" set are what I would stack against the Gibson 57 classic and 57 classic plus, as far as GFS pickups go.[/quote']

I was thinking of what you said about the Classic II's being "musical". I like that term. It just so happens, I have another Les Paul I'd like to put a set like those in. I'll explain, I play clean like.....60% of the time, so thats pretty much what I'm looking for. The only pedals I use are delay, & chorus.

Archived