Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between current run SG400 and SG400 Faded/Vintage

torndownunit

Hello, new member here.

I was wondering if there is any difference between the current SG400 and SG400 Vintage/Faded other than the finish? I have read early models Faded's had neck binding, but the new ones don't look like it? So are there any other differences?

Also, I am looking at a couple of used ones locally. One is a Korean made Faded model, but without neck binding. Would this model be considered more 'desirable' than one of the current Chinese made Faded/Vintage series?

Thanks a lot.

Hello' date=' new member here.

I was wondering if there is any difference between the current SG400 and SG400 Vintage/Faded other than the finish? I have read early models Faded's had neck binding, but the new ones don't look like it? So are there any other differences?

Also, I am looking at a couple of used ones locally. One is a Korean made Faded model, but without neck binding. Would this model be considered more 'desirable' than one of the current Chinese made Faded/Vintage series?

Thanks a lot.[/quote']

Usually the old ones from Korea with the neck binding are the sought after ones.

I know the Korean ones with binding are more sought after, but I am curious if ANY of the Korean production ones are generally more desirable than the current Chinese made ones. EG if I was looking at a Korean made one for $300 used, and a Chinese made one for $275 used would the Korean one be a better bet for any reason?

Thanks

Guest icantbuyafender
I know the Korean ones with binding are more sought after' date=' but I am curious if ANY of the Korean production ones are generally more desirable than the current Chinese made ones. EG if I was looking at a Korean made one for $300 used, and a Chinese made one for $275 used would the Korean one be a better bet for any reason?

Thanks[/quote']

The new ones are 300 bucks new at musiciansfriend.com

I am partial to Korean made Epiphones but the newer chinesee ones use better selector switches and input jacks. The older Koreans had the box style switches that were absolutely the WORST.

I'd get an older one with binding. Otherwise, it doesnt really matter if it is chinese or korean, so you should just get a new one if you cant find one with binding.

The new ones are 300 bucks new at musiciansfriend.com

I am partial to Korean made Epiphones but the newer chinesee ones use better selector switches and input jacks. The older Koreans had the box style switches that were absolutely the WORST.

I'd get an older one with binding. Otherwise' date=' it doesnt really matter if it is chinese or korean, so you should just get a new one if you cant find one with binding.

[/quote']

I am in Canada, so they the cheapest they are new around here is generally $399 + 15% taxes. So what is where my prices come from.

Thanks for the info on the 2 models. I may look around a little harder for one of the ones with binding then.

Hello' date=' new member here.

Thanks a lot.[/quote']

The Korean ones are supposed to be a little better quality as far as the wood and craftsmanship also. But I have an '07 G400 made in China and as far as the body quality goes it's about as solidly constructed and feels about the same (a good reproduction) as the old '65 Gibson SG Special that I had long ago. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

But the Korean models seem to hold a little more value as they get older. And then the obvious cosmetic differences such as the binding. So flip a coin and play what feels good!

I know the Korean ones with binding are more sought after' date=' but I am curious if ANY of the Korean production ones are generally more desirable than the current Chinese made ones. EG if I was looking at a Korean made one for $300 used, and a Chinese made one for $275 used would the Korean one be a better bet for any reason?

Thanks[/quote']

No. I have a 2006 Korean SG Custom that had to have a good bit of work done to it to make it playable.

I have a 2009 Qingdao China made SG Vintage/Faded that is without a doubt one of the best Epiphones I have ever played. It had a set up and a fret file and that's all. Plays like a dream.

So no, not all Korean made guitars will end up being the Bomb. Some are just plain duds and need more work than others.

But that's with any factory. Asian is Asian no matter which side of the pond you're on.

The Korean shoreline is directly across from Qingdao, China.

Only a few short miles apart.

Do you really think there is that much of a difference?

Indeed. You can get good and bad guitars from any factory. And I firmly believe that the current MIC examples are at least on par with the best of the Korean examples. In fact, all three of my Epis are EE built, and they're all fantastic, my G400 included.

No. I have a 2006 Korean SG Custom that had to have a good bit of work done to it to make it playable.

I have a 2009 Qingdao China made SG Vintage/Faded that is without a doubt one of the best Epiphones I have ever played. It had a set up and a fret file and that's all. Plays like a dream.

So no' date=' not all Korean made guitars will end up being the Bomb. Some are just plain duds and need more work than others.

But that's with any factory. Asian is Asian no matter which side of the pond you're on.

The Korean shoreline is directly across from Qingdao, China.

Only a few short miles apart.

Do you really think there is that much of a difference?[/quote']

Craftmanship wise no. But it's the woods I question. I am not used to seeing mahogany grain like you see on the newer MIC SG's. I am used to see a tighter, less defined grain. Like you tend to see on the older Korean models. The grain on the MIC models is so vivid and sort of odd looking. It just makes me curious about the quality of the wood being used, or what type of mahogany they are.

I don't expect a night and day difference at all. I am just not in the position to be able to play either guitar before I buy (live in the boonies) so I was curious if there were any reasons why one would be a 'safer' bet than the other.

Craftmanship wise no. But it's the woods I question. I am not used to seeing mahogany grain like you see on the newer MIC SG's. I am used to see a tighter' date=' less defined grain. Like you tend to see on the older Korean models. The grain on the MIC models is so vivid and sort of odd looking. It just makes me curious about the quality of the wood being used, or what type of mahogany they are.

I don't expect a night and day difference at all. I am just not in the position to be able to play either guitar before I buy (live in the boonies) so I was curious if there were any reasons why one would be a 'safer' bet than the other.[/quote']

I agree, the wood that Epiphones from China, Korea, Indonesia etc. in my opinion aren't the quality that say a Gibson is made of. I've seen a LOT of Epiphones for sale on EBay with broken necks and such. The wood is "softer", less dense we'll say. I have had a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a maple neck that got broken once right behind the nut and I have heard of SG necks breaking but not near as many as the Epiphones I have seen.

No? Really? Epiphone using a different, lower grade wood than Gibson? Might explain the significant difference in price! [biggrin]

You'll find that G400s are covered in a veneer, that is, a thin layer of vivid grained mahogany, over solid mahogany. Not all wood is beautiful, but it would be stupid and inefficient to waste it, just because it doesn't look good. So they do use it, but they cover it in a veneer. Basically they fillet the nice wood into very thin pieces and apply it over top of the not so nice wood. Not a stupid way to do it really. It's still a solid mahogany body, and it's visually pleasing, but they save some money by not wasting the 'ugly wood', which means they can deliver the guitar to you at a good price. Pretty smart business practice if you ask me.

Besides, forget what it's made of and how it looks. You'll get guitars with nice grain, or not so nice grain from any factory, from any manufacturer, just like you can get well made or poorly made guitars from any factory and any manufacturer. If it plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, and is well made, then who cares whether it's made of gold, or paper maché?

Also, any guitar with an angled headstock has the potential for a broken neck. So long as you look after your guitar, there's no issue.

Guest icantbuyafender

Broken necks are a bummer, but the upside is if you get it fixed correctly, it aint ever gonna break there again.

Yes, the new chinaphones have an exagerated veneer.

Broken necks are a bummer' date=' but the upside is if you get it fixed correctly, it aint ever gonna break there again.

Yes, the new chinaphones have an exagerated veneer.

[/quote']

A veneer on a budget guitar isn't a huge deal. But I kinda disagree with Swoop that that doesn't mean you shouldn't question what is under the veneer. There are different types of mahogany, and different grades for each type. If 'what I see if what I get' with an older model Epi SG, than I personally would kind of prefer that if it's a comparable price for the 2. For my personal tastes, I prefer that to mystery wood under the veneer. I personally do think wood matters, especially if you are dealing with soft, or heavy wood.

But ya, regarding broken necks it can happen with any Les Paul or SG style guitar. The poster claiming that is some Epiphone specific problem is off base.

A veneer on a budget guitar isn't a huge deal. But I kinda disagree with Swoop that that doesn't mean you shouldn't question what is under the veneer. There are different types of mahogany' date=' and different grades for each type. If 'what I see if what I get' with an older model Epi SG, than I personally would kind of prefer that if it's a comparable price for the 2. For my personal tastes, I prefer that to mystery wood under the veneer. I personally do think wood matters, especially if you are dealing with soft, or heavy wood.

But ya, regarding broken necks it can happen with any Les Paul or SG style guitar. The poster claiming that is some Epiphone specific problem is off base.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that broken necks are an Epi specific problem, ANY guitar with the slim taper style neck is prone to breakage if mistreated, in fact ALL guitar necks are. To clarify, I was only saying that I have seen a lot of Epiphones on EBay with broken necks, usually broken in shipment. Sorry for any misleading statement! Trust me, I love my Epiphones and think they are quality units!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived