Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 15w Valve Standard discontinued

trj44

Hi to all, I saw a 15w valve standard (new) at a local store for a very good price, I have read some reviews and some have had reliability issues with this amp. All rate the sound as being fantastic but I am thinking is this the way to get into tube land or should I stick with my Marshall MG30 for reliability reasons? I see it is discontinued and replaced by the Blues custom 15/30 (I could be wrong here). Does anyone know if (I assume correctly they are built in China) much about these amps?

Thanks for your time,

I've never heard anything good about the Marshall MG series, so I'd hardly recommend going that route.

In the entire time I've been paying attention, I don't remember the Valve Standard ever being available, so it has to have been discontinued quite a while ago.

I recommend looking into the Valve Junior Hot Rod or Valve Senior as an alternative, if not the Blues Custom.

The BC30 is a fantastic amp BUT you need to take into account that it is a big, built like a tank (and weighs the same as one too), very loud 15W/30W 2 x 12 combo and, as such, is ideally suited to gigging. It's not an ideal amp for home use unless you have very tolerant (i.e deaf) neighbours or are happy to shell out on a decent attenuator.

If you're a tube noob, steer clear of the Valve Standard, no matter how dirt cheep you can get 'em. They're as unstable as the version 2 VJr, but the ridiculously poor quality of the circuit board combined with the added complexity makes 'em an even bigger service nightmare.

Also, one must consider that the tone quality reports in the reviews are relative to what the reviewer is used to listening to. I've got a homebrew Marshall 1974x 18watt clone, and the Valve Standard blows chunks up against that. Most DIY folks try at first to salvage some of the tone by pulling the DSP, but it ultimately just needs gutting and rebuilding from scratch. If you're up for that kind of challenge, go for it! The VStd's are great candidates for DIY projects precisely because they're so cheep now!

Gil...

Archived