Gibson Brands Forums

call me crazy......but wow.......

smips65

posted this earlier, as a possible diamond in the rough, and she is......

After Musikron gave his opinion on this, I decided to check this one out, what the heck, price was right, and again the master was right, fellow selling this allowed me to wind up a high E string on her, and my lord does she sing, out of tune, and broken neck, and still, Musikron's quote, spanked my martin was right on.

So, $70 bucks poorer, I own her, the nice fellow just had her sitting around collecting dust for the last decade, I just couldn't let her sit there anymore.

Besides, I am an absolute sucker for these composite backs on acoustics. Tonewood Dream come true, Brazilian Rosewood, OMG!!! Have absolutely no way to verify that this is the real deal, but I'll take Musikron's word for it.

Looks to me like a D-45 neck, and the signiture Dave Matthews DM3MD body is dead on.

Anyway poor baby has some major injuries, and needs work, lord help me.

Any advise, tips, etc. thanks

Jeff

aim1c.jpg

aim11.jpg

aim12.jpg

aim6.jpg

aim8.jpg

aim7r.jpg

[biggrin]

Work to do! (rolls up sleeves)

ROUND ONE

First things first. Get a small mirror and light, and get a good look inside at those bracings, neck block, and kerfings. You are looking for any damage or broken glue joints. Take your time and be thorough. Next, inspect the truss rod. Is it functional?

How much separation is there of the fingerboard from the neck? How much fret life? Are all the fret firmly seated? Is the top bellied up at the bridge? Is the bridge firmly attached and is the bridge plate in ok shape and attached?

The bridge plate was re-attached at some point in time, glued, and a small bolt and nut installed, the small white inlay dot covers the bolthead. Seems to be very solidly attached.

The fretboard is only loose where I have the paper in the pictures. All of the frets are solid, attachment wise, a few are worn down, could use replacement. Will have to upload some

more up close pics for you to see. Give me some time for the mirror part. Felt around with my hands for the bracing, felt like an X brace between the soundhole, and bridge,

under the soundboard. All bracings felt solid. I will check for bowing, and the truss rod tonight.

Rolled up sleeves, and a prayer.

thanks.

This'll be fun man, no prayers needed. Hows your tool chest? Got plenty of clamps, files, that mirror we mentioned? You will also need something for making clamping cauls. I use this stuff called "friendly plastic", you can find it at craft stores. Little plastic pellets you put in hot water and form to your needs. No scars from clamping the parts and even pressure.

You will also need 0000 steel wool, and if fret really do need replacing, you'll need new wire and a deadblow hammer with a plastic face.

Keep me informed.

This'll be fun man, no prayers needed. Hows your tool chest? Got plenty of clamps, files, that mirror we mentioned? You will also need something for making clamping cauls. I use this stuff called "friendly plastic", you can find it at craft stores. Little plastic pellets you put in hot water and form to your needs. No scars from clamping the parts and even pressure.

You will also need 0000 steel wool, and if fret really do need replacing, you'll need new wire and a deadblow hammer with a plastic face.

Keep me informed.

Keep me informed.

[biggrin]

Alrighty then, just got done with a 14 hour day, and am all tuckered out. I will get the mirror tomorrow, and do the interior search.

As far as the frets are concerned, I will post some pics, tomorrow, but all in all, they aren't too bad, certainly playable, say 70% life left.

The tools, clamps, files, things like that will be on hand already, or acquired as needed, that won't be a problem.

PM me a list of the specialty items, 0000 steel wool, plastic beads, I have several hobby shops near me, so I'm not worried about that.

If this truss rod doesn't turn, will I have to de-laminate the fret board?

Are you going to suggest I complete the break in the neck, or glue it back together as is?

Just trying to layout the workspace in advance. I live in St. Paul, Mn, I have nothing to do until spring, so this is my winter hibernation project. time is no issue.

If this comes out like I hope it does, this will be so worth the effort.

:-k

Judging by the pics, I would try to glue it as is. Can you spread the cracks open a little? Take some tite-bond, thin it with water about 3 to 1 and inject it with a glue syringe into the crack. Work the crack open and closed, add more glue, repeat until you have glue seeping out the entire crack. Then clamp, wipe excess and wait. Use the friendly plastic or SOMETHING as a clamping caul to protect the wood.

On the truss rod, lets see if it works before we get too deep. Do this before gluing the neck. Try to remove the nut on the TR, then clean the threads while you have it off and inspect the rod. If it's good, proceed to the neck. But first make sure the neck is set properly, should be, they built those well.

It will be worth the effort as long as you don't shoot the pooch. Just take your time, do a couple of dry runs before gluing ANYTHING. And if you have any doubts, don't do it. the guitar is salvageable as it sits, but too much more abuse and it might lose the mojo.

I have all the admiration in the world for folks who bring any guitar back to playing condition. Best of luck on the project.

Whether that is Brazillian rosewood or not is is tough to tell from just eyeballing a picture. Best way I know is from the smell. If you get down to raw wood and it smells like bubblegum than it is Brazillian. The years that those Aims guitars were manufactured, however, would suggest that it is not Braz rosewood as Brazil banned the export of rosewood in 1969. But it is certainly possible there was some stockpiled at the Fujgen Gakki plant.

Anyway, best of luck with the project. Anxious to hear how it all turns out.

I could be old stock rosewood. Heck, these 40 years later someone is still using up a 'stock pile' (allowed by int'l law) as new guit tars and other isntruments are still being cranked out (not many).

Even if it is, I wouldn't sand too much. It's probably lam and the rosewood will be wafer thin.

Does this have a bolt-on neck? Some Epis of that era had heels, but were bolted on somewhat like a Taylor, through the neck block with the bolt parallel to the fretboard.

Archived