Gibson Brands Forums

neck compatability

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

So my gigging guitar dubbed FrankenPaul Jr is in need of a new neck.

The truss rod is rattling around and unadjustable and the frets are shot and worn out and sticking out on the edge.

On the bolt neck epiphone models, are all the necks the same profile?

Like the heel where it bolts in.... are the dimensions the same on a Jr as there would be on a G310, SGspecial, LP100 or LP special II?

Im trying to find a neck off ebay....

So my gigging guitar dubbed FrankenPaul Jr is in need of a new neck.

The truss rod is rattling around and unadjustable and the frets are shot and worn out and sticking out on the edge.

On the bolt neck epiphone models' date=' are all the necks the same profile?

Like the heel where it bolts in.... are the dimensions the same on a Jr as there would be on a G310, SGspecial, LP100 or LP special II?

Im trying to find a neck off ebay....[/quote']

Perhaps you should ask Epi that one.

Not sure what your guitar is but I'm guesing some kind of hybrid neck and body. So, you should probably get the neck to match the original body and perhaps from the same factory of origin (if you knew it).

Whenever I buy either a neck or body, I get more information

from the seller about measurements. You will need the width and thickness

at the body joint, the nut width, and you should get the neck profile thickness also.

That would stop the rattle but you'd still have a truss rod that doesn't work.

The best "repair" would involve removing and replacing the entire fretboard and repairing or replacing the truss rod while the fretboard was off. Really not worth the time / expense. You can get a cheap replacement neck with new fretboard and truss rod, and swap your tuners and trc onto it.

If you get one that's slightly over-sized, you can sand it to a good tight fit. If it's slightly undersized, you can shim it. You do have to get the scale, and the distance between nut and bridge dead right.

Guest icantbuyafender

Im measuring a good 2 and 3/16ths inches in the pocket and heel width. The replacement Im looking at is the exact width at the heel.

Should I find out how long the heel is too?

As a plus the neck Im looking at has a better looking headstock [biggrin]

Archived