Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird pickups

Has many of you will know been doing a lot of research into mini's lately. I have got the hots for a set of Lollar Firebirds.

I found this on the internet and it has intrigued me, even further, about the Firebirds.

I just want to comment on the internal workings of a Firebird pup.

They have two magnets - not one shared magnet like the mini humbucker - or full size HB -

Because they have a coil going around the magnet - they are very reminiscent of those early Blues pickups found in the Kay's- Harmony's and Magnatone's. where all you have is a coil wrapped right around a long rectangular bar magnet - I have found that these designs are really fast becoming the more popular designs with the Blues Purist Regime out there -

So inside the Firebird's metal cover are basically two of these early designs with the magnets stood up so its skinny end is up and the flatter 1/2 wide sides are facing the coil - making them a cross between the Charlie Christian Blade & the H-44 Harmonys - ( Strat0tones) - now theres not much room for wire so these Firebirds usually reach about 6.5 or maybe sneak it up to a 7k if they are wound nice an neat...

so inside the cover is two really cool Bluesy pickups - one has its magnets reversed from the other so it "hum-bucks" -

now most of the Kay's - Harmony's - Magnatone's were 3.2k to 4k

so heres these Firebird's really BEGGING to be put on a split switch - and wolla- you'll have a 3.2k to 3.5k single coil bluesy pup from the tone Gods!

because inside are two of the coolest little blues designs ever made!

and splitting them will give you "that Sound" when you want it..

Has anyone ever split Firebird minis like this..........Lollars or other makes....

• 1 month later...

That's a good question. Curtis Novak also makes Firebird pickups to spec for little less than the Lollars. I've been looking into getting an original off ebay when these sellers get serious with their asking price. I did that to a minibucker from Dimarzio and it sounded ok. Nothing like i wanted, no bluesy tone then again not the same exacted pickup. I'm on the hunt to get this and try it before i knew anyone else had. If you ended up slitting one let me know how it sounds.

Cheeses.....I thought this thread had died a death a long time ago......

The assembly is on order and once I have finished the mod and tried this out I will post on the results.....

I have to try this or I will always wonder......

If it don't come off then at worst I have pair of Lollar Firebirds in a Sheraton......

seems like a win win to me......

I am curious........

I have just got a hunch, I am going to like those Firebirds in my E-by-G.........

Guest icantbuyafender

i had some Artec brand mini humbuckers.

they were 4 conductor wired and i was able to drop one with a push-pull into my goldie a while back.

when split they give a damn good early strat sound. almost a tele.

especially the neck. i love single coil in the neck, and a split mini worked like a charm. jangle, bite, and clarity. with treble rolled off youll have heaven.

Joe, I'll be very curious to hear how the minibucker upgrade goes and sounds. Now I'm in the minibucker research mode, and thinking of Lollars, though a pair would cost me almost as much as that Wilshire did! Can't happen for a while, at least until my summer research salary kicks in, but please let us know!

I have a set of hand wound PAFS and two assemblies on order once they arrive I will order my Lollars Firebirds.

I think all will be done in about 6 weeks. Obviously will post when all done and get some sound files up.

I have found a couple of guitars very close to the Epiphone Zephyr I am currently looking for a Samick Washburn J6 Washington which is the closest thing I can find available to a Zephyr 311TN. Being a full hollow, 17" lower bout, thinline, they have a lot of features in common. Scouring the Swedish E-Bay Blocket for one. I wish I lived in the states this one is one CL

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1583322678.html

I will put either go Gibson Vintage Minis or SD antiquity Minis in that Washington that is my choice so far...

I think I will go with the Gibby's

Just had a thought though what about a Johnny Winter hybrid (JW played a Wilshire and a Firebird)

Why not a Wilshire with Lollar Firebird pups, and if my splitting experiment works...then split em.......

You would be able to really rip it up with that beast....:-k

re: the price of the Lollars my E-by-G only cost me $374 two Lollar Firebirds and a new assembly will cost me $425 that is a total of $800 a new MIC Sheraton in Sweden costs $750-800 which would you rather have I would rather have the Samick E-by-G with the Lollars and new assembly....a no brainer

Guest icantbuyafender
I have a set of hand wound PAFS and two assemblies on order once they arrive I will order my Lollars Firebirds.

I think all will be done in about 6 weeks. Obviously will post when all done and get some sound files up.

I have found a couple of guitars very close to the Epiphone Zephyr I am currently looking for a Samick Washburn J6 Washington which is the closest thing I can find available to a Zephyr 311TN. Being a full hollow' date=' 17" lower bout, thinline, they have a lot of features in common. Scouring the Swedish E-Bay Blocket for one. I wish I lived in the states this one is one CL

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1583322678.html

I will put either go Gibson Vintage Minis or SD antiquity Minis in that Washington that is my choice so far...

I think I will go with the Gibby's

Just had a thought though what about a Johnny Winter hybrid (JW played a Wilshire and a Firebird)

Why not a Wilshire with Lollar Firebird pups, and if my splitting experiment works...then split em.......

You would be able to really rip it up with that beast....[confused

re: the price of the Lollars my E-by-G only cost me $374 two Lollar Firebirds and a new assembly will cost me $425 that is a total of $800 a new MIC Sheraton in Sweden costs $750-800 which would you rather have I would rather have the Samick E-by-G with the Lollars and new assembly....a no brainer

what is an "assembly"

Archived