Gibson Brands Forums

Tilted Lespaul neck pickup

Dwhittaker

i recently purchased an Epiphone Les Paul standard Plus Top. Vintage Sunburst (my avatar).... and the neck pickup(stock pickup) is slanted down toward the body (higher at the neck).

i took it out and looked at it. it looked fine. all centered.

i replaced it and it's still slanted.

my guesses are that:

the wire is not providing enough slack or

the wood around the pickup hole isn't large enough.

i am probably going to replace the pickups soon.

but i want to troubleshoot this problem first.

You might like to try turning the moutning ring around the other way. That is, remove the pickup from the ring, and turn the ring 180, then put the pickup back in, and the whole thing back in the guitar. This should then make the pickup parallel with the strings, assuming you have the polepiece screws closest to the end of the neck. You'll notice that the pickup rings are staggered, i.e. they're taller at one end. Just gotta flip 'em round until you get it right.

This advice is perhaps a bit rich coming from me, I need to do the same thing on my Les Paul.

You might like to try turning the moutning ring around the other way. That is' date=' remove the pickup from the ring, and turn the ring 180, then put the pickup back in, and the whole thing back in the guitar. This should then make the pickup parallel with the strings, assuming you have the polepiece screws closest to the end of the neck. You'll notice that the pickup rings are staggered, i.e. they're taller at one end. Just gotta flip 'em round until you get it right.

This advice is perhaps a bit rich coming from me, I need to do the same thing on my Les Paul. [/quote']

i know they are tappered to one direction. everthing is right. the fatter end is facing the bridge.

and the poll pieces are correct. at the neck...

unless i can get one that's more tappered. the one on there is the original, but the plastic piece isn't parallel to the strings either.

The pickup should be able to rock a little back and forth in the angle/plane of the neck. Is it hitting anything which stops it from rocking?

There's usually plenty of wire even for the neck pickup - you should see it coming through from the neck volume pot if you take the plastic pots cover off the rear of the body and also take the bridge pup out too. Make sure it's not snagged up on anything.

As for the mounting ring, the springs should slip snugly on to the plastic thread protrusions on the underside of each height adjustment screwhole and the springs should both be in good condition. Another problem could be that the metal lugs in to which the ends of the height adjustment screws are screwed could be bent in one direction or the other. You would find that your pups are tilted in the mounting rings when the whole assembly is away from the guitar if this were the case - You should just be able to bend them back in to shape carefully. If these are not bent out of shape, maybe there's something catching at the bottom of the pickup routing or it's routed incorrectly as you suggest. In that case - it's a warranty issue.

Alan

unless i can get one that's more tappered. the one on there is the original' date=' but the plastic piece isn't parallel to the strings either.[/quote']

As long as the mounting ring is flush with the surface of the maple top then the drop towards the bridge is normal which means there is a natural/normal lean of the whole pup assembly. Your pup should be level with its ring though.

As long as the mounting ring is flush with the surface of the maple top then the drop towards the bridge is normal which means there is a natural/normal lean of the whole pup assembly. Your pup should be level with its ring though.

i just popped it open to take another look.

and i can see about a 3mm difference from side to side. the left side of the routing goes right to just before the end of the mounting ring. the right side doesn't go quite as far.

i bought this guitar used. and it's an '05.

what would you supposed i do about this?

can i get it done professionally and there not be a problem or should i just leave it alone.

can i get it done professionally and there not be a problem or should i just leave it alone.

You can get it done professionally, and I would think it would not cost that much. Should be an easy fix.

Sheila

and i can see about a 3mm difference from side to side. the left side of the routing goes right to just before the end of the mounting ring. the right side doesn't go quite as far.

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Are you saying that the cavity was routed in the wrong place such that the pickup monting ring is practically falling in to the hole on one side?

hey Dwhit' date=' I see you have a tuck n roll kustom 72? in you avatar, how do ya like those amps ive been thinking about grab'n one [/quote']

i like it a lot.

it's got a whole bunch of power and a lot of little extras

reverb and tremelo of course...

a pedal with channel, boost, and effect switches

an XLR out jack in the back, along with effects send and return jacks. there's a ground cut-off switch which is used if there's any feed back, that stops it. there are 2 speaker out jacks in there also. 1 for the 2 twelves in there and another for a cabinet or something. and you can choose the impedence... between 4 8 and 46 i think...

this is only my second tube amp, so i don't know how it stands up in the crowd of the tube amps... but i got a good deal.

and it's really retro looking too. you aren't going to see many of these out there. and i packs more of a punch than the marshall half stack the guy i bought it from had. and it's heavyyy like 63lbs is what the manual says

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Are you saying that the cavity was routed in the wrong place such that the pickup monting ring is practically falling in to the hole on one side?

no.. the ring sits fine. the routing is just a little too far to the left. so that it doesn't let my pup sit freely.

i bought this guitar used. and it's an '05.

I ran into this problem as well. Even with the slightly slanted neck ring,

the neck p_up was sitting flush rather than on a slant as it should.

The front edge was a bit higher than the fingerboard.

I had to bend the tangs/ears on the p_up (where the height adjusting screws go into), so that they were at the slightly on the correct slant to make the p_up sit flush with the fb.

hey Dwhit' date=' I see you have a tuck n roll kustom 72? in you avatar, how do ya like those amps ive been thinking about grab'n one [/quote']

actually man. i'll sell mine for the right price. they are $1100 new. i still have the papers, footswitch... anything.

the amp is reallllllly nice. and really stands out.

make me an offer.

Archived