Gibson Brands Forums

"E" logo on scratchplates

Harrison

I don't have any personal experience with an E falling off (the one on my Dot is on there solid).

But for years I have read about the E coming off quite easily for many others. And I have no idea if they made Texans without them or not. But yeah, they do come off.

Most Epis have an epsilon on the scratch plate when they ship from the factory. Some are more durable than others. The most durable epislons are the ones, apparently, painted on at Matsumoku during the bad old Norlin years. The pick guard on my FT145 has visible fingernail and pick scuffs/scratches, right over the epsilon. The epsilon shows no wearing, nor intention to bubble, crack or peel. It is as if the paint has become part and parcel with the plastic. I suspect the EPA regs put into place after these models' production lead to less durable painted on epsilons and other graphics that are a headache to Gibson to this day. Some epsilons were stick on thin lables others 3 dimensional appliques which seem no more likely to stay on than recent paint jobs.

Archived