Gibson Brands Forums

I wonder why

jonnyg

I wonder why Epiphone don't re-issue some of their own classic basses. What I'd like to see is good, reasonably accurate re-issues of Newport, Embassy and Rivioli basses instead of the Gibson and Fender clones that are currently available. Why would I buy a Rock Bass Fender clone when I can buy a Precision or Jazz model from Squire for pretty much the same money. What I want to see is a bass that says Epiphone on the headstock because it really is one.

How hard can it be?

JG

I do not know but I totally agree with you on this!

But... Epiphone seems to be heading the 'vintage' road with all the new reissues, so who knows, maybe this year there'll be some positive surprises for us all...

The Jack Casady ('Casecandy'???) is the only Epi-Bass I'd buy (in black though, I don't like gold... too flashy...)

EPIPHONE RIVOLI FTW!

Picture_126.jpg

55U-3080_front.jpg

I would consider a new Rivoli. My bass is a 1968 Gibson EB-2 I have had for many years, and I finally figured out it might be a good idea to treat it a little better. For the time being, I play it quite a bit, but I just picked up a used Epi Thunderbird to use so I don't have to take the Gibson out in the lousy weather we usually have. I was hoping to find a decent hollow bass to use as an alternate, but none of the local shops have a Jack Cassady to try nor did any of them have an Ibanez hollow bass.

I'm pretty sure there is a market for a new hollow bass, since I can't be the only odd person out here who likes them better than solid bodies.

I'm pretty sure there is a market for a new hollow bass' date=' since I can't be the only odd person out here who likes them better than solid bodies.[/quote']

That's right, I feel the same and, like I said before, how hard can it be. Epiphone already has most of the parts/tooling available. The body would be the same as a Riviera (obviously different routing), the pickups are the same as the ones fitted to the EB0/EB3, the tuners are the generic Fender type fitted to any four a side headstock so all it needs is the neck, bridge and the will to do it. I'm sure I saw a picture of the bass player from U2 using a Rivoli and I wonder why Epiphone didn't pick up on that. Given that I can pick up a Riviera for around £350.00 I would have thought that Epiphone could bring in a Rivoli re-issue for around the same price and have something that, as you say, other manufacturers are simply not making.

Archived