Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Strat

N3OKI

As a 46yr old newbie I was wondering if there is any oppinions on the Epi Strat? This is going to be my first guitar and was wondering if this would be a good beginner. Will be learning mosly blues with a little southern rock mixed in. I have seen two locally but the price's seem to be at extreme ends, 1) $299.00 used in perfect condition. 2) $100.00 used great sound but shows quite a bit of wear.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Hi. I did some luthiery work on one for a friend last year. They seem well made. Perhaps the one in "perfect" condition is the better choice if your budget covers it.

If you are ablsolute beginner you probably should get a guitar playing friend to check them both out for you.

Problems to especially watch for are badly worn fret wires (i.e. string indents and grinding marks), neck integrity (is is straight?) , and electronics (scratchy pots, etc).

Good luck - happy blues bending!

Stewart

$299 is definitely too high, you can find a used Fender mexican strat for that price and they are much better. $100 isn't too bad but I would invest the $100 in a fender mexican strat. If you decide its not for you, you will not have a problem getting your money back if you bought a fender for $300. I have had both. I sold my epi strat and I have kept both of my fender strats if that tells you anything.

If its the one that just says "Epi" on the headstock, dont bother.

If the $300 guitar is an all single coil pickup config, $300 is way too much. If its a Pro series or higher end S-series it may be worth it.

I agree with everyone else though, $100 gets you a brand new Squier Bullet, or $250-$300 gets you a great used Fender MIM. And the Squier Affinity and Standard models fall somewhere in between.

With that budget, you could also have a look at a brand new Epiphone Wilshire, the one with the mini humbuckers. Unless you're specifically looking for the "strat sound". I have one with different pickups (an older version) and I'm loving this git [laugh]

Archived