Gibson Brands Forums

Can You Plug A Blues Custom Into A Cab?

So i've had a B-52 AT100 stack for a few months now. I've grown to hate it. The head is atrocious. [-(

I had a Blues Custom sitting around that I hadn't played in a while, so I tried it out and IT IS GOLDEN. I don't remember why i stopped playing it but it was a mistake when i did.

Anyways, this gets more than loud enough to gig with, but I want to spread out the sound more (I mainly play shows where none of the instruments are mic'd)

is this possible without harming anything?

i see there's like a zillion impedence jacks in the back, but i'm not sure if they are meant to connect something TO the amp, or to connect something FROM the amp

if anyone can help me out that would be great!

Yep you can either plug into an external cab instead of the combo speakers or you can use an external cab along with the combo speakers. Just make sure you've got the impedance set correctly for the setup you're using and you'll be fine.

So i've had a B-52 AT100 stack for a few months now. I've grown to hate it. The head is atrocious. [confused]

I had a Blues Custom sitting around that I hadn't played in a while' date=' so I tried it out and IT IS GOLDEN. I don't remember why i stopped playing it but it was a mistake when i did.

Anyways, this gets more than loud enough to gig with, but I want to spread out the sound more (I mainly play shows where none of the instruments are mic'd)

is this possible without harming anything?

i see there's like a zillion impedence jacks in the back, but i'm not sure if they are meant to connect something TO the amp, or to connect something FROM the amp

if anyone can help me out that would be great!

[/quote']

That AT100 has a valve head I think? If so do you want to sell the head?I think I heard that same head through the ST-Series Cabs W/Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers and it sounded awsome.

Not a recommendation but my preference would be to use the combo with an additional 2 x 12 cab. This is purely on the basis that you're going to have to lug the combo anyway so you might as well make use of the internal speakers and just add another 2 x 12.

yeah, i think i'm going to sell it. at first it was great, but then the tone went to hell. i sent it into the shop, but it still sounds the same. too much treble, garbly distortion, no low end. if you have any insight as to why this happened or if anyone has experience with this amp let me know!

yeah' date=' i think i'm going to sell it. at first it was great, but then the tone went to hell. i sent it into the shop, but it still sounds the same. too much treble, garbly distortion, no low end. if you have any insight as to why this happened or if anyone has experience with this amp let me know! [/quote']

I am by no means a tech on amps but have you taken the back off the head, turned it on and lightly tapped the tubes with a wooden pencil esp. preamp tubes and checked for harmonic sounds while doing so. This is old school but I think a tube can check out as being good but if you get harmonic sounds the tube(s) should be replaced. I am open to any criticism or inputs on this matter. B-52 usually makes a kick a$$ amp.

alright thanks a lot! which do you recommend? using the cab along with the speakers or just the cab alone?

I personally use both the combo amp and a 2 x 12 Ext. cab w/V30 celestions and one compliments the other and I get killer tone and volume esp. bottom end from the ext. cab

IMG_0086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Use the cab with the internal speakers but do figure out the combined impedance. The two units are added in parallel. The stock speakers are a pair of 16ohm in parallel = 8ohm (only). Imo the stock speakers are, well, horrible. Almost anything-else would be better. If possible swap them out for a pair of 8ohm that can be added series or parallel to 16ohm or 4ohm (like most Marshall cabs).

There are

1x16ohm outlet (useless for internal unless you wire 2x8ohm in series as above or have a 16ohm cab)

2x8ohm outlets i.e. for a pair of 16ohm units in parallel, or one 8ohm unit, connection for stock internals.

2x4ohm outlets for a pair of 8ohm units in parallel, or one 4ohm unit.

Archived