Gibson Brands Forums

EJ 200 X bracing

djpo1

Hi I bought an EJ 200 about a year and a half ago...I love it, it sounds great. But latley I notice the X bracing is showing throught the top.....If you look at straight on you can see the X just below the the sound hole and an across the whole top plain as day....is that normal .....

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly... is there a crease on the outside of the guitar?

That's a good question. I took your question to mean you could see the x brace through the soundhole, but may have misinterpreted. Could you clarify for us?

Red 333

Well, it's not by any means "normal". That is a clear sign that the wood is in distress. I would suspect your guitar is severely dry and the top could very well split at any moment. You need to go out and buy a hydrometer, and place it right next to the guitar, if that's the case, fine, on the wall, fine, but do it where you keep the guitar. Give it a while to adjust. Then see what the humidity reading is. You are shooting for 45-50% humidity Anything below 45% is bad. 30% or lower is REAL BAD, if you get under 20%, expect to see cracks forming, if you get to the teens, game over. The X you see is where the wood is shrinking from being dry, but the glue on the braces holds it tight, somethings gonna give and it ain't the glue! Your guitar is also probably suffering from playability issues as well from being dry, I bet the top has sunk in.

After you perform the experiment, let me know the humidity reading, I'll tell you how to fix it.

I promise your other guitars are not "fine", you just don't know it. If you are not humidifying your guitars you are asking for trouble. They may not be about to crack, or maybe they are, but if you are in the NE and are not doing anything to ensure the proper humidity of your guitars, you WILL be in for some expensive repairs on all of them soon.

The cheapest and most assured way to keep proper humidity for your guitars is to get a small sponge, damp it and place it in an open sandwich baggie. Place that in the sound hole of the guitar and keep it in the case. You can also place it by the heel of the guitar, but since you are already severely dry, I suggest placing in the guitar to begin with. If the sponge gets dry,s o does the guitar. YOu can alos buy a damp-it or other stringed instrument humidifier to keep in the case for 10-20 dollars.

If you want to keep your whole music room humidified, get a cool air humidifier, you don't want any of the ones that produce steam. Thats bad, creates bacteria and mold, as well as doesn't do much to actually humidify the air. If you go that route, get one that is over sized for your room by 20% for the best results. If you have a wood furnace, I would skip that and just stick with the case humidifiers.

Good luck and your guitars will than you.

I would also pick up the small hydromoter I mentioned, I got mine at Target for $10. Runs off batteries and I can put it in the case for a few hours to get a reading of the guitar. You can also over humidify your guitar, though that is harder to do and normally doesn't cause the catastrophic failures that being over dry can.

No problem, don't forget your other guitars! You can always do the sponge/paper towel in a bag thing as a stop gap measure to keep them healthy.

In a couple weeks you should tell a difference, then it'll be time to set the guitar up and it will be playing and sounding better than ever, as well as last a lifetime.

Archived