Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone FT-365 12 string standard tuning

Automatic Buffalo

I just received an Epiphone FT-365 12 string acoustic guitar as a gift. Not being familiar with this guitar, I was wondering what the recommended standard tuning is - is it 1/2 step or a full tone down from standard 6-string tuning or is standard tuning acceptable? I have always tuned my Guild D212 down a half step. When I received this guitar it was approximately tuned down a full tone. I don't want to damage the neck by tuning it too high.

Thanks!

I used to keep my early '70's bottom feeder Ovation 12, folk head at normal pitch, but it tended to break the 1st and 2nd string tuners. I had it for 6 years, no problem with the top/bridge.

I keep my '7? Epi 12 stored a full tone down (I have had it for 2 years now) but go normal for performance or jamming. The intonation is way better way that way.

It should be OK at full pitch but I don't know that model or it's age. If the top/bridge are behaving, It will sound better tuned up. A lot of folks tune them down to just make it easier to play.

Tuning down a half to a whole and a half step is a common tactic to keep 12s from imploding themselves in storage.

Some Epiphones of this era: http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/catalogs/1974/pg4.html

were plagued with weak neck blocks. If the action is tolerable, I wouldn't change what seems to be a successful tuning.

Oh, yeah... any pics?

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting a little buzz on the low E when tuned a full tone down so I think I will try it at a half. I'm attaching a photo. The truss rod cover is missing and the machine heads appear to have been replaced somewhere along the line. It plays well and sounds great. For a guitar that had been stored in someone's attic for who knows how long and then in someone else's closet for over a year all without a case, its in very good condition.

DSCN0218.JPG

Hi Automatic Buffalo,

I apologize if you already know this but am not clear on the question. I tune the strings on my 12-string this way.

The first (E) and second ([biggrin] "pair" of strings (compared to a six string) are tuned the same.

The third thru sixth "pairs" are tuned to the same notes (G, D, A, E respectively). However, one set of strings is a lighter gauge, the lighter gauge strings are tuned an octave higher to get that sweet sounding harmony.

My 12 has a very thick neck, I did try to tune it down 1-1/2 stead (ala Leadbelly) but prefer standard E tuning.

Here is what I once found:

12-string guitars

The highest two courses are tuned in unison, while the others are tuned in octaves.

I suspect that means, tune the heavier strings as you normally would, then tune the ligher strings paired to the heavier an octave higher, except the two highest courses. Tune them in unison.

Thanks again for the additional responses. I guess my question really wasn't stated that clear. The question was meant to be whether to tune the strings down or tune to standard E tuning. The tuning of the "lighter" strings is not an issue. I was just concerned with the amount of tension on the neck and without having any experience with Epiphone 12 strings and not knowing the age either I figured this would be a good place to get some info (and I was right)!.

I always tune my 12 strings (I have 3) down a full step - DGCFad instead of standard EADGbe and use a capo on the 2nd. fret. This is with a set of 10-47 guage strings I won't use '12's on my 12 string, but if I had to, I'd tune it down even lower, maybe CFBbEgc. I seem to recall that when Ovation guitars first came out, they advertised that they were designed to be tuned to standard pitch, but I have been unable to verify this. Any rattles or buzzing could mean your nut and/or bridge may need adjusting.

Archived