Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr Hot Rod Reverb Fix?

misadler

Hey all,

Just bought my first Epi amp, a VJ Hot Rod. I like the amp, but the reverb really blows. I swapped an old 5751 into V2, and that made it better, but only because it made it more quiet. I know these are fairly new, but does anyone have a fix for it yet? I read in another post that swapping out the tank won't do any good if the circuit is bad. Don't want to spend much more, but if there is a fix, this amp would be pretty sweet.

Thanks,

First Time Poster

I have one here and it definately is horrible reverb.

One guy swapped out the tank but then his clips didn't show much reverb at all.. so I suspect it made no difference.

And so far.. no hint of what might actually work in these things.

Misadler, if the tank is a two-spring model, you might notice some improvement by switching to a 3-spring (type 8) model. Accutronics makes a variety of short and long spring models (long spring models are preferrable but won't fit a VJr.) Here's the link: http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

But as some members have discovered, the tank isn't necessarily the culprit - it's the reverb circuit. There may be some info on how to improve the circuit at www.sewatt.com. If so, that would be a better approach than wasting $ on a new tank. Also, you'll need to be very careful which replacement tank to pick - the impedance must be close to the stock unit or you can blow your OT.

Archived