Gibson Brands Forums

EF-500M in a Valentine's Day Slack Key video

Fran Guidry

I have (blush) three EFs, and two of them stay on O`ahu. It's great not having to sweat flying a guitar over when we visit, and my buddy uses them as backup guitars if he needs them.

We're in Kailua, on the windward side, right now and it's heavenly. Temps from high 60s at night to low 80s in the day, sweet trades, lots of music buddies around. I've been playing the old song, "Ninipo" a lot and thought it would be just right for a Valentine's Day video. I set up a couple of cameras and a Zoom H2 in the backyard of our loaner house and mixed the result in Edius Neo:

Hope you enjoy it. I've used my EFs in other videos as well, both here in Hawai`i and at home in California, so sift through the assortment if you're interested.

Thanks,

Fran

very nice stuff-i didnt have the money for an Epi 000 but got the silver creek t-160 at a real good sale price plus a hard archtop case from MF.com-if you are bored check out my youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/thelastcrowonthewire i use a plethera of different guitars from my ever-growing pack of 6 strings in my vids. i dont use a p-up in any of my gear so sound is a bit rough on some but my sound guy for future stuff is gonna mic me up right-the 1st vid on my "channel" is my Epi H-Bird shot from a cell phone a while back-if you sort them by date, the first few have far better sound-but like you said browse through if ya want, im about to dig deeper into your video vault-beautiful sound/playing by the way, are you trained classically (by a teacher) or self taught? i taught myself through the philly folk scene and by ear-doesnt matter what you are playing ive learned; just as long as it "SOUNDS" good. hahaha

Thanks Fran' date=' I always find slack key so relaxing to hear.

My father lives on Oahu and he's always sending me SK CDs.

What are the most common tunings? It looks like fun....[/quote']

The most common tuning is called taropatch, it's open G - D G D G B D - and that's the tuning I used in the video.

The next most used tuning is probably "drop C" - taropatch with the lowest string dropped another whole step -

C G D G B D

Another common one is "double slack" or "g wahine" - D G D F# B D - Auntie Alice Namakelua used this tuning a lot, and Uncle Ray Kane did his famous "Punahele" in this tuning.

The Pahinui family has done a lot with C tunings, Cyril teaches open C - C G E G C E - and there are lots of variations from there.

If you're interested in learning the fundamentals, Ozzie Kotani http://www.ozziekotani.com has written a terrific book and now has a couple of DVDs as well. His book was the key to my efforts to learn slack key.

Fran

Fran, that was excellent! I took liberty at looking through the rest of your stuff on youtube. Very enjoyable....I think my favorite would be KALENA KAI. Love your performance. By the way, have you tried plugging in this Epi? Did it come with eSonic or eSonic2 ? I love my 500RA so much, but sometime in the future I foresee some amplified play.....Thinking of getting either an 'e' version of Epi Masterbilt or 'electrifying' mine some way ...

Fran' date=' that was excellent! I took liberty at looking through the rest of your stuff on youtube. Very enjoyable....I think my favorite would be KALENA KAI. Love your performance. By the way, have you tried plugging in this Epi? Did it come with eSonic or eSonic2 ? I love my 500RA so much, but sometime in the future I foresee some amplified play.....Thinking of getting either an 'e' version of Epi Masterbilt or 'electrifying' mine some way ... [/quote']

Thanks for checking my stuff, Natalia.

Of my 3 EFs, one came with the factory Baggs Element that preceded the eSonic. It works OK to my ear. One was a 2nd and they pulled out the Baggs and put in a mediocre undersaddle, I replaced that with a B-Band dual source rig that sounds OK to my ear. The M in the Valentine's Day video came without a pickup and I had this Duncan MagMic in a drawer so I put that in. It sounds pretty good to my ear.

So far, in my experience, pickups all sound like pickups. And I need them to plug in. So I try to get a decent sound out of whatever I have in my guitar, I don't think I've used the same pickup twice yet <grin>.

Fran

Fran' date=' that was really lovely. You make it look effortless.

Kudos on the video production, too. Hats off to Flying Orange Hat!

Red 333[/quote']

Why thank you, Red, you're very kind.

I started just trying to get decent looking video, and that used to be very hard. Now it's not so hard to put up a reasonable clip, but that just makes the lack of "story" more evident. Plenty to learn, but plenty of fun, too. This Edius video software really changes the game and makes it more fun to play with the clips.

Fran

Archived