Gibson Brands Forums

Probably a dumb question??

StewartB

Was thinking of buying an Epi Valve Jr head - only one knob makes me a bit nervous! I haven't been able to play one just yet and was looking for comment on the sound and quality. Are they "quiet" amps and does one get that nice warm class A breakup at higher volumes?

Stewart

Was thinking of buying an Epi Valve Jr head - only one knob makes me a bit nervous! I haven't been able to play one just yet and was looking for comment on the sound and quality. Are they "quiet" amps and does one get that nice warm class A breakup at higher volumes?

Stewart

I have the harley benton ga5h which is the same as a VJ but has 2 knobs! They are excellent little tube amps, the break up comes in around 8 on the volume with humbuckers which is very loud so I use a TS9 clone, the tone is glorious!

The VJ is also easy (and cheap) to mod to almost boutique level.

Hey Stewart,

My new half stack just arrived today. Once I get a bit of time and find a cable, I'll hook er' up to the 2010 tribute LP for a test drive and let you know. The one knob ain't no big deaL, I have the combo too with upgraded speaker and tubes. I run an MI crunch box to get the marshal tone...............................markerdown

I just added a EQ pedal in line with my version three VJ and that will pretty much solve any tone

controlling worries you may have. I got really lucky and snagged a perfect old Ibanez GE10 for cheap;

had I known how much dialing-in this was capable of doing I'd have been all over the idea a whole

bunch sooner. Do some research on EQ's before purchase cause there seems to be a broad range

of good to bad units out there... this hadn't really occured to me as seemingly simplistic as one would

assume that they are. And the prices have a wide range as well... many on here have spoken highly

of the Danelectro Fish 'N' Chips EQ.

Wedgie

Hey Stewart' date='

My new half stack just arrived today. Once I get a bit of time and find a cable, I'll hook er' up to the 2010 tribute LP for a test drive and let you know. The one knob ain't no big deaL, I have the combo too with upgraded speaker and tubes. I run an MI crunch box to get the marshal tone...............................markerdown[/quote']

Thanks mate. I'm still trying out 2009/2010 Epi Lp tributes. The Epi Valve Jr is a serious consideration. I'm think I just really fond of low watt class A amps. keen to hear your comments.

Thanks

Stewart

Ok I finally made it to the closest local GC and got the cable. That place is such a zoo. I did manage to test out some really nice gibson LPs and and a studio mahogany brown Lp which played nice and was realy cool. I like the round 50s neck and the axe just plain rocked. They had a lot of nice epi's about lots of used amps but way too may people wailin' away. Whats with these dude with black fingernail polish and piercings? I think I need to visit on a weekday morning :-)

Ok , the epi half stack sounds cool! No buzz or hum using my MIK LP or my tele. It's freakin loud! I used an MI Crunch box With the switch around 1200 she starts to crank and break up a wee bit, at 1:00 yeah it's there. I think I may need an eq pedal. [cool] ..........................markerdown

My guess is the Valve jr doesn't have any sounds you can't get with yor Handsome Devil:-k

Both were designed by Pyotr Belov AFAIK

Peter

I expect you are correct Peter. The Handsome Devil is my favourite amp and has plenty of options without overkill.

Guess I'm just seeking some simplicity. I read a quote in a guitar mag once that said - "if you play through an amp with more than six knobs then you are one!" Thought that was pretty funny actually. I do have an occasional "jammimg" mate who plays a PRS 513 through a Mesa Boogie 100w Head - you should see all the knobs on that mother!!

Problem with it is that he tweaks the Mesa EQ about 3 times during every jam song - pisses off the rest of us. Made me think that one can definitely have too much choice in our musical lives.

Stewart

So I'm really glad the Handsome Devil only has six knobs.......So I'm not a knob too[biggrin]

I guess' date=' there are "snobs" in every brand..........

he should get a tech for adjusting his 20+ knobs

how does it work for him to get more than three sounds out of the 13 he can get with his PRS

Peter[/quote']

Well the PRS 513 adds another layer of "knobs" - double whammy. He is continually playing with the PRS controls as well. Having said that, I'm not bagging the guy. He does play the blues quite well. Maybe its just a phase he going through? In his defence he bought a Fender Blues Junior from a pawn shop and reckons its pretty good - only about six knobs!

Just wanted to add that I am impressed with the Blackheart Handsome Devil - notice you have one as well. Built very well. I actually bought a Blackheart Little Giant Head then sold it for a bit more power by purchasing the Handsome Devil as I do play occasionally in medium sized venues. I thinkit is an under rated amp and perhaps the "made in china" tag keeps a few people away.

Archived