Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Senior - loud enough?

Hey guys,

i'm thinking 'bout getting one of those Valve Senior Heads...

But i'm not sure if it's loud enough to cut through the mix when i'm playing with my band:-k

I'm playing in a 70's oriented rock band...so what do you think...what experiences:-k [biggrin]

You could certainly buy it from someplace that has a return policy, so you could try it out. That's really the only way you're going to know whether or not it's right for you. Musician's Friend has a 30 day return policy, I believe. That should give you plenty of time to play around with it.

With regard to cleans, if clean is what you're looking for, you really need more headroom than a 20 watt amp can typically provide. You can dial your guitar volume back to produce "cleanish" tones, but you really won't get crushing loud, squeaky cleans with anything less than 35-40 watts. There's a reason why Twin reverbs were/are 85 watts (or 100 or 135, depending on the era).

Generally speaking, a 20 watt amp SHOULD be able to cut through a mix without difficulty. However, much of this depends on the voicing of the amp, the preamp gain, and of course, speaker selection. Again, only ample test driving is going to tell you the story.

I have had my Valve Senior for about four months. I have gigged with it quite a few times. Plenty loud for.....well....anywhere.

I have been using a 2x12 cabinet. But' date=' Just got a Epi 1X12. I was quite impressed. I think I may buy another.[/quote']

Sounds cool....do mic it at gigs?I'm talking 'bout small gigs.I get my Valve Senior Head today, so i'll try it tomorrow with the band.....can't wait.....

Archived