Gibson Brands Forums

what pickups should i get???

guitarjoo

for $300 that a Line 6 is you can get some pretty decent tube amps. If you play an amazing sounding guitar through a "bad" amp its gonna make the pick up upgrades null.

off the top of my head

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Vox AC4TV

Fender Champ 600

Fender Champ XD

incredibledisc,

I second the Mean 90s. They are great pups.

The Gibson ceramics will give you some improvement for heavy rock / metal tones but if you want cleaner bluesier tones as well' date=' you won't get anything good out of that pup and amp combination. Ceramic pups tend to have power without warmth.

[/quote']

MGs ARE some super crappy amps.

As far as the pups go however, I disagree. I have a set of Gibson ceramics in My Epi LPC, and I can wring some real nice blues tones from them. AND they'll rock your face off too.

If you're looking for a really nice tube amp, you can dig up a used Carvin X100B for about $400-$450. (I actually got my X212B (X100B in 2X12 combo form) through a series of craigslist trades.) They'll still rock your face off like a Marshall but won't rock your wallet. Zappa and Vai used X100Bs. Good enough for them, good enough for me...

it seems some gfs's AND a new amp are needed i am only using a 5 watt peavey nano and pod xt. this is the other cheapy i was looking at:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm

i can whack the pod through the nano and get some great tones... none of these have a master volume... although there are mods.

i think the gfs power rails are like dirty fingers? passive, 3 ceramic magnets per pickup with lots of turns. i've just swapped out those magnets for some alnico's though as i didn't need that much gain and wantted them a little chimier.

Archived