Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

Fantana

I've been hiding this from you guys for a few months now, and I'll tell you why!

Saw an advert for a 'Les Paul Goldtop - damaged' in the local paper, I figured it would have a few nasty dings or something similar, so I went to see it.

Turned out that the headstock had snapped off and that was the reason that he was selling it, he didn't know much about guitars and just wanted to get rid of it.

It's an Epiphone LP Standard that someone had 'bastard-ized' - they had snapped the headstock off and replaced with a Gibson (a very poor, it snapped off again, hence the sale!), had resprayed it to make it a Goldtop and then stained the entire guitar with a brown liquid to give it that 'aged' look. Not forgetting to mention that he had taken wire wool to the hardware and scratched it up [crying].

I paid him £50 for the guitar and took it home............

............Yes that's right, I got my self a project guitar [confused]

I removed everything so I was left with just the wood and gave it a good clean to see what I had got, the gold paint is very similar to the 'Gretsch' gold with the big flakes and not too far of the Epi gold finish but it wasn't applied very well.

I took her to my tech who refitted the headstock properly, removed the brown staining, replaced the hardware and fitted brand new high quality electronics and did a full set-up and service.

I got the call this morning to say she was ready, so I went over there straight away, and here she is........

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

Now I know she's not a 'Gibson' and I'm definitely not trying to pass her off as one, but she is an Epiphone that I saved from death to be played again and I think in her new guise she'll do nicely as a guitar that I can practice with at home and look pretty on my wall next to the others, that's not a crime is it?

Are you sure its even an Epiphone? Looks like a Chinese made fake Gibson with a broken headstock. Good score for £50 if you were going to fix it yourself, but with the repair costs on top you are probably out of pocket big time. You can pick up second hand fake Gibsons for £100 on ebay.

It's definitely an Epi, I have the original headstock and purchase reciept inc serial number from The Guitar, Amp and Keyboard Centre in Brighton, UK.

I would have had the Epi headstock re-fitted but it's almost destroyed (It's now in a lovely plastic bag) and wanted to get the strongest repair possible so after much discussion with my tech, we went with the Gibbo headstock.

Guitar Cost - £50

Repairs - £130

A lifetime of me playing it because I wouldn't want anyone else to have it - Priceless

it was removed with a hacksaw at an angle (I cringe just thinking about it) and he just threw the old headstock aside, it's got loads of dents/knocks/scratches. Fortunately he decided to keep it in a bag. He was a really nice guy, just didn't know what he was doing!

Archived