Gibson Brands Forums

The LP I bought a couple days ago.

tflanster

Hope this works. This is the LP I got a couple days ago. Its in really good shape, better than I expected after getting it home and really examining it. Its a 1993 model built at the Samick plant in Korea. The pots were "scratchy". I pulled the cover and squirted some WD40 in them - no more scratchy. The Gibson HSC was a little dinged up - a broken hinge and some scratches. I repaired the hinge and wiped the case with Armor All after cleaning it. So for $160.00 total and a little labor, this is about the best deal I ever got on a much desired guitar.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8859/img0886a.jpg

Hope this works. This is the LP I got a couple days ago. Its in really good shape' date=' better than I expected after getting it home and really examining it. Its a 1993 model built at the Samick plant in Korea. The pots were "scratchy". I pulled the cover and squirted some WD40 in them - no more scratchy. The Gibson HSC was a little dinged up - a broken hinge and some scratches. I repaired the hinge and wiped the case with Armor All after cleaning it. So for $160.00 total and a little labor, this is about the best deal I ever got on a much desired guitar.

[img']http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8859/img0886a.jpg[/img]

You are missing a / in the closing tag -- it should be [/img]

Beautiful guitar.

WD40 and ArmorAll are both not the best choices for those applications.

Man, you got a steal on that thing for $160! It's a beauty, too!

I thought I got a good deal on my '96 MIK plus top honeyburst for $333 a couple years ago... I do love mine, but how did you find that deal??!!..

Here's mine -

IMG_0352EpiLP-PB.jpg

IMG_0328EpiLP-PB.jpg

IMG_0355EpiLP-PB.jpg

I haunted Craigslist for months, every morning and evening. I looked at L.A., San Fran, Fresno, Visalia, Hanford, Bakersfield (you can guess I'm in CA. My son lives in L.A. and I have a cuz in San Fran. Every LP that popped up was either a beater or grossly overpriced. Mine showed up locally, Tuesday a.m. I called the guy right away. He was asking really small $$ but I asked for bottom line anyway. He said not a penny less than $160. I asked where he lived and was there 20 minutes later. Nice guy too. He just had too many guitars and was thinning out the herd. So, terrific no hassle deal. Only a couple minor things to fix.

You are missing a / in the closing tag -- it should be [/img]

Beautiful guitar.

WD40 and ArmorAll are both not the best choices for those applications.

Ahh, missed a slash. Thanks. I don't think ArmorAll is a problem. After all, the case cover is plastic (PVC) so it won't be hurt with a single application of ArmorAll. As for the pots, well, until I got to Radio Shack and get a can of spray - next week probably, the WD will suffice.

Thanks for heads up on the /

For the sake of all reading this. WD-40 is NOT what to use for a scratchy pot. WD-40 leaves a residue that will break down the conductive film used in a pot. The correct product is electronic contact cleaner.

For the next couple days, WD will suffice. I'll be going to Radio Shack Sat or Sun to pick up a can of carbon tet, which is the active ingredient, and which will remove the WD. I'm surprised to learn that there's a film on the resistive carbon in a potentiometer. Most of the pots I've had occasion to use, other than wire-wound, had a simple carbon resistor layer, thinner or thicker dependiing on the desired resistance, that the wiper slid against. A film is news to me. Thanks for the info.

Archived