Gibson Brands Forums

Identify Burstbuckers Pro

Ricochet

Hello forum.

I bought a used set of Burstbucker Pros from someone. Included with the deal were 2 TOM bridges of which seller claimed one was a Gotoh.

When I recieved the package the TOM obviously wasn't a Gotoh but a cheap POS and so was the other one for that matter. When I mailed the guy he still insisted on it being a Gotoh...

So I'm really suspicious about the Burstbuckers now. Also because the details are way off.

Seller claims they are straight from a Gibson Les Paul. But the "wound by" stickers on it are not readable. Both transparant PAF decals are torn and have bits missing.The wax has a slight blue-ish tint and covers the baseplate like a thin layer(not wiped clean), and the solderpoints were the covers attach to the base are not in the middle but more or less to the sides.

They measure 7.7K for the neck and 8.2K for the bridge.

According to another BB pro user they should read Neck 7.4K and Bridge 8.0K. Personally I think the difference is too big and I'm getting $#$@-ed, but I'd appreciate anyones take on the matter.

Here are the pics...

BBR.jpg

BBT.jpg

I've never seen any Gibson pickup with the covers soldered anywhere except in the dead center of where they meet the baseplate. Never seen any Gibson pups with the covers soldered on like those in the pics. However, they may have been added by the last owner.

As far as the resistance, that's pretty close, I don't think any two bbs's read the same, since they are bascally scatter-wound, and if your meter is calibrated.

The baseplates look pretty rough, and the rest of it looks 'sloppy' so to speak.

Another thing you can check is if the dog-ear mounting thread holes are SAE or metric, as most forign stuff is. All the Gibson's I've had were SAE thread.

IMO they are fakes, but I"m not the definitive authority when it comes to this stuff.

As far as the resistance' date=' that's pretty close, I don't think any two bbs's read the same, since they are bascally scatter-wound, and if your meter is calibrated.

[/quote']

Seller now claims the covers are aftermarket....

The biggest fake giveaway are the PAF decals which are supposed to be black with gold lettering.

Mine are black with transparant lettering, the mark of a true fake...

IMO Gibson differentiates between PU outputs within margins of 0.1K. Calling them similar in output but not the same. A difference of 0.3K would make it a totally different PU.

Also resistance is down to length of wire and number of turns, I'm pretty sure Gibson is using fixed resistance values and the scatterwinding is just to influence flux-field yielding a different tone.

Clever thinking about the Metric versus SAE.

TNX!

I measured my BB Pros and here is what they measured out at 7.75k for the neck pickup and 8.23k for the bridge.

Rats...you mean they're actually the right resistance values? Ok' date=' so they're [i']good[/i] fakes... tnx!

You might want to check this site for more detailed info on vintage PUs.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

I noticed that the legs of your PUs do not appear to have the "L" tooling marks on authentic Gibbson PU's.

you might have to cut/paste the link..

"http://www.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html"

Archived