Gibson Brands Forums

What's equal to the Epiphone Les Paul classic?

xx1424xx

This may seem sacrilege on an Epi forum. When i was in the market for an LP. I tried out every LP in both Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Hollywood. I made sure price was no object and tried everything. I came away drooling over a Yamaha AES620. I went on ebay and found an AES420. They are amazing guitars. I was kinda tripping on the Yamaha name, since they make motorcycles and jet skis. So "How good could one of their guitars really be?" I was proven way wrong. Its proved to be an excellent guitar. The AES620 comes stock with a SD JB in the bridge. The reason i got the AES420 was because it wasnt string through and i didnt have a need for a JB bridge pup and it came in black :-({|=

yamaha_aes920_620.jpg

heres mine

IMG_4715.jpg

Hardware and electronics are the same across the board.

How is that possible when there is such a price difference between all the Epiphone Les Paul models? Is it really just the wood and finishes that affect the prices?

How is that possible when there is such a price difference between all the Epiphone Les Paul models? Is it really just the wood and finishes that affect the prices?

Your pretty much just paying for appointments: finishes, binding, inlays and such. Some of the pickups vary from model to model but, if you're talking about just your standard run-of the-mill Epis, they're pretty much the same. Asian made hardware, Asian made pickups, Asian made pots and wiring. Some of the higher end Epis will come with better pickups like the Slash model with Duncans or the Zakk Wylde and Prophecy Series that have EMGs.

The Studio

Bound Neck with Dot Inlays (fretboard)

No Headstock Binding

No Body Binding

Usually a painted body and top, but they are showing up with some really nice tops, lately

The Standard

Bound Neck with Trapizoid inlays on fretboard

Multi-Bound Body

No binding on headstock

The Custom

Multi-Bound Headstock with Split-Diamond Inlay

Multi-Bound Neck with Block Inlay

Multi-Bound Body

Archived