Gibson Brands Forums

Switching a Frequensator for a stopbar on an Epiphone Riviera

stuartgraboid

I have an Epiphone Riviera, '96 reissue model with full size humbuckers. I'm looking into replacing the frequensator tailpiece for a regular stobpar like on the Sheraton, Dot, etc. It looks like there isn't enough width (or JUST BARELY enough) on the center block to accomodate the drilling of the two holes. Is the center block on the Sheraton/Dot wider than on the Riviera in order to securely have the bushings in place? Has anybody done this modification on a Riviera - any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Good question.

I wouldn't think the Riviera has a narrower tone block than a Dot/Sheraton

(which is modeled after the 335), but you never know with Epi.

Certainly there is enough width to allow the t-o-m bridge posts to be drilled into the tone block., BUT

you only need about 3.5 inch width there for the t-o-m bushings.

The stop piece, OTOH, will need about 4 inch center block for the larger bushings at least.

On the 335 there is allowance for this at that part of the tone block, but I'm not sure if

they would use exactly the same tone block for the Riviera..maybe that's why it has a Frequensator

in the first place.

A luthier may be able to tell...perhaps a flexi-light or something around the f-holes in the area

where the stop piece would go, is the best way to examine it before doing any drilling.

If Epiphone is anything like General Motors' date=' they they probably use the same parts and dimentions on multiple models.[/quote']

Yes, ha ha..remember the great axle boomdogle on the late 70s GM cars? I had a bearing

go on one of the axles..went to a junk yard which was full of them and when I

asked the guy which one I should pull to replace the damaged one on mine...

he said 'just pull them and compare to yours..nobody seems to know what axle

they used on what car..chevy/pontiac/olds...so people then paid more for an

olds to find out later they threw in a pontiac or chevy motor in the Olds! [lol]

back to guitars..chances the block is just wide enough, but don't forget that

the new ones are made in a different factory in asia from the old Kalamazoo

ones which used pretty much the same materials and assembly line at Gibson.

Archived