Gibson Brands Forums

Tenor Guitar

Pauldwinston

I have a question for you all. I have really gotten into tenor guitars and would like to restring a 6 string concert size Ventura with tenor strings. Do you think it would be playable and would it give me a fair idea weather or not I want to buy a real tenor. Also, any thoughts on a brand would be real helpfull.

Paul

A quick google turns up this site, "tenor guitar at a glance" showing a 23" scale length, CDGA tuning. Sounds do-able but weird.

http://www.tenorguitar.com/glance.html

There's a cute little 1933 Epiphone Beverly tenor guitar on ebay right now, if you've got fooling around money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-VINTAGE-EPIPHONE-TENOR-BANJO-ARCHTOP-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ220572211323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item335b20d87b

At the end of the "Roaring '20's", when the Depression hit, the Tenor banjo started to go out of favour, and guitars started to become more popular so someone came up with the idea of putting a tenor banjo neck on a guitar, so all those unemplyed tenor banjo players could become "instant" guitar players. Tenor guitars & banjos are usually tuned CGDA, but some use the so-called "Chicago" tuning - DGBE, i.e. the same as the top 4 strings of a standard tuned guitar.

Brand? Most every guit tar manufacturer in the early part of the last century made them, including Gibson, Epiphone and Martin. Now-a-days, not so much. You'll have to find a used one or go to a custom manufacturer.

Brand? Most every guit tar manufacturer in the early part of the last century made them' date=' including Gibson, Epiphone and Martin. Now-a-days, not so much. You'll have to find a used one or go to a custom manufacturer.

[/quote']

Try Gold Tone, or Lark in the Morning for new ones.

Archived