Gibson Brands Forums

Update - Prophecy cut coil question

dchale

I bought a new SG Prophecy GX a few weeks ago and I noticed that the cut coil only works on the bridge pickup. The description on the Epiphone web site says "coil cutting in the form of a push-pull volume control to allow for single coil isolation of each pickup". Would a fellow Prophecy owner let me know if the coil cut works on each pickup on their guitar?

Thanks!

Hey there, dc! How is everything in Appleton? I know it's still a bit early, but are you getting ready for the white bass run on the Wolf River? (Can you tell I miss fishing?)

I own two of the Prophecy GX models ... the Les Paul and the SG. On mine, the coil tap works on both pickups. I have no idea what could be up with yours, buddy ... but if it's only a couple of weeks old, I'd consider taking it back to the place of purchase for an exchange. Unless, of course you bought it from a private owner. Is it possible that some work was already done on the guitar?

Let us know how this turns out, huh?

Jim

Hi MIDIMan, Thanks for replying.

I gave up fishing when I realized I was terrible at it, the only thing I was good at was drinking the beer.

Unfortunately I'm 5 days past the 30 days I had to return it to Guitar Center. I think I'm going to replace the push pull pot and rewire it myself. I'll have to replace the knobs as well though. Last night I found out the hard way that if you try to pull the knob off of the push pull pot, rather than the knob coming off the whole shaft comes out of the pot. The pot still works but knob and shaft pull off really easy now. I'm afraid to try removing the knob from the tone pot until I have all the parts to rebuild it in hand. The whole thing is making me kind of sick actually, I really didn't want to mess with this guitar at least not for many years. But I don't want to have to send it in for a warranty repair either.

It turned out to be two bad solder joints on the push pull, the wires from the bridge pickup were completely disconnected due to poor soldering and there was a very ugly cold solder joint which was supposed to be grounding the switch on the push pull pot to the pot case. This was also on the bridge side of the push pull. Someone in China must have been having a bad day. It's working now.

Thanks again MIDIman56.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I replace the push/pull pot and rewired most of the guitar. The wiring on the tone pot looked good so I left it alone. I noticed that Epiphone uses a linear pot for the volume and an audio pot for the tone - isn't this the opposite of what most manufacturers do? I couldn't find a linear push/pull so I have audio taper pots for tone and volume now. Is there a reason that Epiphone (and maybe Gibson) use linear for volume and audio for tone?

Archived