Gibson Brands Forums

94 MIK Epi LP Custom?

dookieguy

I have a 94 MIK LP Custom, serial# starts with S.

Thing is, the block inlays on it aren't MOP. As in, they're not pearly, they're like plain vinyl or something.

But any other LP Custom or even the trapezoidal inlays on standard LP's, they're all MOP.

You think it might be fake or refretted or something?

Um' date=' no LPS I'm aware of have "real" MOP for the inlays. Thats reserved for Sheratons and Gibsons. You just have the ugly plastic inlays not the pretty ones.[/quote']

Even your standard Gibsons have perloid inlays, You gotta get into Custom Shop territory before you get REAL MOP.

Um' date=' no LPS I'm aware of have "real" MOP for the inlays. Thats reserved for Sheratons and Gibsons. You just have the ugly plastic inlays not the pretty ones.[/quote']

Yeh, Muskiron is correct. I have an MIK (2005) Epiphone SheratonII and it has real MOP and Ablone fret inlays. My Epipone Les Paul Standard (MIC 2007) has some sort of vinyl or plastic imitation MOP (that sucks), but I guess that's the nature of the business these days. As Hungrycat said, even many of the Gibsons are the same way today, except the Custom Shop stuff. I saw that recently and was very surprised. I figured if you're paying in the $1,500+ range for the Gibson guitars you'd get the real deal. Guess I was wrong. To get the real stuff these days I suppose you have to pick up a good used Vintage Gibson or Custom Shop.:-k

I figured if you're paying in the $1' date='500+ range for the Gibson guitars you'd get the real deal. Guess I was wrong. To get the real stuff these days I suppose you have to pick up a good used Vintage Gibson or Custom Shop.:- [/quote']

Gibson Les Paul Standards have actually never had real MOP inlays. The early LPs have cellulose nitrate inlays, which was eventually replaced with other plastics and now acrylic due to the highly flammable nature of cellulose nitrate.

Anybody see Inglorious Basterds? Remember them making the theater into, essentially, a giant bomb using nitrocellulose film? That's the same material as the old LP inlays. Smokeless powder and flash paper are also made from it.

LP Customs did used to have real MOP and for nearly 4 grand I agree that they still should.

Archived