Gibson Brands Forums

Sanding A Dot Neck.

Caolan96

Okay Guys, haven't been on here in a while, sorry about that. Anyway i was reading AS90's post and he got me thinking about sanding the glossy finish off my dot neck, i want to leave a nice satiny finish on it, not cut through all of the finish completely. anyone got any tips on how to do this, and what grade of sand paper to use?

Many Thanks in advance.

Caolán.

There is some controversy on this. Some folks say 0000 steel wool is fine, others say it will leave scratches. I used 0000 steel wool on my 6832 (pics to be posted shortly on the Acoustics forum), but I gather the pros use automotive grade wet/dry paper in the 800 to 1000 (or higher) grit range. I suppose it's a matter of pickiness, but too low a grit and you're committed to a long process of refinishing if you don't like it.

One thing to watch out for with steel wool is that loose steel particles will head straight for the magnets on your pickups and are a real beyotch to get off, so tape everything up carefully if you go that route.

One thing to watch out for with steel wool is that loose steel particles will head straight for the magnets on your pickups and are a real beyotch to get off' date=' so tape everything up carefully if you go that route.[/quote']

Thats why I used the sanding sponge, another good thing with the sponge is it hugs the neck closely so it is much more even than using a block or your hand, it also clogs up with the dust which makes it even smoother. Im actually confident enough to use it on the top now.

I have used the 0000 Steel wool treatment on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo neck due to stickyness in the summer months. Be aware that this is not a "permanent" solution. Regular playing of the guitar tends to re-gloss it back up over a fairly short time frame.

Also as stated earlier, cover any pickups, both electric and acoustic. I just tape over the sound hole when doing my Gibson so the K & K Pure Western Mini pickup inside stays clean from the steel wool shavings.

Archived